Are Xbox 360 parts compatible to a PC

Dreaded

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
My 360 just got the RROD and I'm just going to get a new one and scrap my old one. I figured since all consoles are just basically computers build for gaming I can just take apart my 360 and put it into my PC. In theory it works and I heard someone did do that once, just never saw it myself.

The hard drive and CDROM is about the only things that could be used in your PC. The hard drive will plug and play but the CDROM if I am not mistaken will need a different firmware and I think it has a different power connector then the standard ones you find in your PC.

I believe the DVD drive is proprietary to the Xbox. Meaning you can't simply pull it out and stick it in your PC. The case is definitely different since it has feet protruding from the side of the case.

You definitely can't use the CPU in a PC since it's an Tri-Core IBM Xenon CPU which is based on the PowerPC CPU. And it is soldered into the motherboard.

My suggestion is to keep the old Xbox 360 for parts, like the DVD drive. However, swapping a broken DVD drive with another Xbox 360 DVD drive is not that simple. I believe the Xbox 360's motherboard contain unique identifiers for each component. Therefore, assuming the DVD drive failure is mechanical and not the circuit board, you need to transfer the circuit board to the replacement drive before installing it. Otherwise the Xbox 360 will not recognize the "new" drive.

Basically, the only part you can re-use is the 2.5" SATA hard drive (laptop hard drive).

The original XBox was just a bunch PC parts thrown together. Not the Xbox 360.

===============================================

EDIT:

BTW, I don't own a XBox 360 nor any other gaming console.