Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GPU upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2010 2:04:46 PM

I'm looking for a new GPU for my pc:

here is my spec:

Processor: core 2 quad Q9550 (2.83ghz, 12mb cache)
Motherboard: ECS P45T-AD3 (V1.0A) (crossfire capable 8x/8x)
Memory: 4gb DDR3-1333 OCZ (no idea of the timings)
PSU: 3R-system 650W (not modular)
Storage: (2x 160gb in raid 0, and a 1.5TB, all samsung 7.2k rpm drives)
2 samsung DVD writers
GPU: ecs 8600gt 512mb (passive cooled)

Monitor: AOC 1440x900 (and a 1080p tv eventualy)

Games: pretty much all of them, been playing F1 2010 recently (at low/very low), mass efect (1,2), dirt (1,2), grid, crysis, WoW, left 4 dead (1,2), elder scrolls IV, and many more.

I hope to get a card capable to play at 1080p reasonably well (no need to max everything, but wouldn't mind it =D), and fits my budget.

I'm curently looking for a GTX 460 1gb, but I am open for sugestions.

my budget is + - $250 (but hard to set as the prices varies much here in brasil)

What would be my bottleneck? (with the new card)

is the processor still somewhat acepptable? (futureproofing)

the crossfire option is worth it? (PCIE 8X/8X) and would my psu handle it?

More about : gpu upgrade

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 2:43:22 PM

I really doubt if you will have any bottlenecks with the GTX460 and C2Q Q9550

Crossfire would be good if it was just gaming but why do you want it, a 460 in the price will give you good enough FPS and will be a little less on the power side if you put two in CF together.
Your PSU will just come to the brim when in CF since you have a heavy HDD load. So it'd be safer to stick with the GTX460
Or if you want an option to that you can go for the HD5850 it's just a wee bit more expensive but will consume quite a bit less of power and will beat the 460 performance wise.
Score
a c 161 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 2:43:47 PM

650 watt should be plenty for dual cards, although not sure about the brand. 2 high end cards may stress it enough so you may get some odd behaviour.

Look here for suggestions. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-gefor... For your budget, the cards will match up well with your system. If you got a card for 150 or less your CPU may be ahead of the card.
Score
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 3:32:24 PM

I think single GTX460 is more than enough to maxed out everything at 1440x900 and really good play on 1080p TV with decent setting. And it's MUCH faster than 8600GT. :) 
Score
October 5, 2010 11:16:55 AM

alyoshka said:
I really doubt if you will have any bottlenecks with the GTX460 and C2Q Q9550

Crossfire would be good if it was just gaming but why do you want it, a 460 in the price will give you good enough FPS and will be a little less on the power side if you put two in CF together.
Your PSU will just come to the brim when in CF since you have a heavy HDD load. So it'd be safer to stick with the GTX460
Or if you want an option to that you can go for the HD5850 it's just a wee bit more expensive but will consume quite a bit less of power and will beat the 460 performance wise.

the crossfire is an option I have and I just wanted someone else's opinion on it

the 5850 is a bit more than i can expend, and i really like the nvidia 3d option (even though i have no money right now to buy the 3d monitor and 3d glasses)

the HDD situation is temporary, as i plan to rebuild my old Core 2 duo with the 8600gt and it would get the 2 160gb HDD's.
Score
October 5, 2010 11:24:57 AM

hang-the-9 said:
650 watt should be plenty for dual cards, although not sure about the brand. 2 high end cards may stress it enough so you may get some odd behaviour.

Look here for suggestions. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-gefor... For your budget, the cards will match up well with your system. If you got a card for 150 or less your CPU may be ahead of the card.

i did look there before posting, it was when i started looking for the 460 1gb (was looking for the 465, but gave up due to the 460 have similar performace, lower heat/power usage and have a newer design)

the 3R-system PSU is a brand I can recomend, as it have a great heat dissipation, low noise, and solid performace (I was using an old 450W of theirs that hold a 8800gt quite well)

I didnt quite understood this:

"If you got a card for 150 or less your CPU may be ahead of the card"

as the board I'm looking is $220.
Score
October 5, 2010 11:30:02 AM

wa1 said:
I think single GTX460 is more than enough to maxed out everything at 1440x900 and really good play on 1080p TV with decent setting. And it's MUCH faster than 8600GT. :) 

I can imagine how good the games will look (i'm drooling at F1-2010)

i can only dream of playing a game at its max quality (in 1440x900) as the first that did not allowed this is elder scrolls IV (2007), since then i have to make some sacrifices (quality-wise). Anti aliasing is a myth for me as with it it turns unplayble 90% of the games.
Score

Best solution

a c 161 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 3:16:07 PM

fjmfreitas said:
i did look there before posting, it was when i started looking for the 460 1gb (was looking for the 465, but gave up due to the 460 have similar performace, lower heat/power usage and have a newer design)

the 3R-system PSU is a brand I can recomend, as it have a great heat dissipation, low noise, and solid performace (I was using an old 450W of theirs that hold a 8800gt quite well)

I didnt quite understood this:

"If you got a card for 150 or less your CPU may be ahead of the card"

as the board I'm looking is $220.

The 150 price was more of a general comment. You were wondering if you would have a bottleneck, your CPU should be able to scale well with any card on the list, but if you go too low, the card will be holding you back. Really the only thing that will keep you from getting higher and higher frame rates is the video card you pick. At some point I guess you can get a few more FPS with a top card if you overclock a bit, but your system will run anything I can think of.
October 6, 2010 10:18:54 AM

hang-the-9 said:
The 150 price was more of a general comment. You were wondering if you would have a bottleneck, your CPU should be able to scale well with any card on the list, but if you go too low, the card will be holding you back. Really the only thing that will keep you from getting higher and higher frame rates is the video card you pick. At some point I guess you can get a few more FPS with a top card if you overclock a bit, but your system will run anything I can think of.

thanks for the anwser hang-the-9
Score
October 6, 2010 10:19:13 AM

Best answer selected by fjmfreitas.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 10:27:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!