Need a New RPG Game - Any Suggestions?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 14, 2004 1:55:18 PM

I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
that dear.

Bev

--
..

More about : rpg game suggestions

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 1:55:19 PM

"Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
> shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
> has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
> the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
> is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
> wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
> that dear.
>
> Bev

Hi Bev. I played Morrowind not to long ago and had a great deal of fun.
The game is viewed from the adventurer's perspective, and it is like
wielding a sword in real life. Also, you can be strong warrior and a strong
wizard at the same time. I also loved the creating magic items in the game.
And swimming and walking on water seem real, too. Later you can actually
fly invisibly, and get by the pesky "cliff racers."

Try the newsgroup, alt.games.elder-scrolls (another name for Morrowind)
for more information.

Mark
May 14, 2004 1:55:19 PM

I just recently played Planescape: Torment for the first time and really
enjoyed it. It's in the similar vein graphically to BG2 (it was made about
the same time as IWD1, between BG1 and 2 -- I remember being in the store
that year with IWD and PS:T in my hand, and for some reason deciding on
IWD... but I'm glad that I've gotten the opportunity to play it now). It is
very story-intensive, which is great. Character "creation" also takes an
interesting spin, which I liked too. The only problem is that it's a bit
hard to get ahold of now that it's out of print.

"Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
> shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
> has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
> the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
> is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
> wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
> that dear.
>
> Bev
>
> --
> .
May 14, 2004 1:55:19 PM

"Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
> shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
> has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
> the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
> is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
> wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
> that dear.
>
> Bev
>
> --
> .

OK ... I'm a BG/NWN/KotOR lover who only recently got into 'action' RPG
games - actually my wife got me Diablo right when it came out and I didn't
like it and didn't get another RPG until NWN came for the Mac last August.

Anyway ...

I've played many hours of Morrowind ... left it for a while to play other
stuff, but it is a fun game. You can get the GOTY edition for a good price
(which is what I did) so I heartily recommend it.

In the vein of Morrowind I would strongly recommend Gothic II. Boy I
enjoyed that game - pretty linear in terms of questing, but there is true
day/night, moral choices, 'shop hours' and so on.

Also there is Arx Fatalis. That is pretty good, but not nearly on scale
with the others. It could have been better, but there are areas where you
will have no idea what to do next (I use the RPGDot forums for those).

I'm playing Sacred now. I know there's a plot, but it is the travel, quests
(literally hundreds) and battles that make it cool.

Mike
May 14, 2004 7:55:00 PM

Mark Earnest wrote:

> "Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
> > shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
> > has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
> > the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
> > is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
> > wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
> > that dear.
> >
> > Bev
>
> Hi Bev. I played Morrowind not to long ago and had a great deal of fun.
> The game is viewed from the adventurer's perspective, and it is like
> wielding a sword in real life. Also, you can be strong warrior and a strong
> wizard at the same time. I also loved the creating magic items in the game.
> And swimming and walking on water seem real, too. Later you can actually
> fly invisibly, and get by the pesky "cliff racers."
>
> Try the newsgroup, alt.games.elder-scrolls (another name for Morrowind)
> for more information.
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark I'm now sold on Morrowind and will get it next week.
Really love the sound of it - have always wanted to walk on water and
flying invisibly, wow :)

Daniel. I have heard a lot about Planescape Torment and have always
wanted to get it. But, as you say, where can I get it!! I have never
seen it here in the shops. Any suggestions?

I have just finished Pool of Radiance (it took me forever to finish it)
and am having game withdrawal symptoms, lol.

Bev
--
I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.
May 14, 2004 7:55:01 PM

I was lucky and found a friend who happened to have it and was willing to
lend it to me for a couple weeks while I played it. I don't think you'll
have any luck at all in major stores, but maybe small shops will have a
copy? Or maybe check on amazon or ebay?

> Mark Earnest wrote:
> >
> > "Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > > I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer
games
> > > shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking
at
> > > has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
> > > the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see
there
> > > is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
> > > wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
> > > that dear.
> > >
> > > Bev
> >
> > Hi Bev. I played Morrowind not to long ago and had a great deal of fun.
> > The game is viewed from the adventurer's perspective, and it is like
> > wielding a sword in real life. Also, you can be strong warrior and a
strong
> > wizard at the same time. I also loved the creating magic items in the
game.
> > And swimming and walking on water seem real, too. Later you can
actually
> > fly invisibly, and get by the pesky "cliff racers."
> >
> > Try the newsgroup, alt.games.elder-scrolls (another name for
Morrowind)
> > for more information.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Thanks Mark I'm now sold on Morrowind and will get it next week.
> Really love the sound of it - have always wanted to walk on water and
> flying invisibly, wow :)
>
> Daniel. I have heard a lot about Planescape Torment and have always
> wanted to get it. But, as you say, where can I get it!! I have never
> seen it here in the shops. Any suggestions?
>
> I have just finished Pool of Radiance (it took me forever to finish it)
> and am having game withdrawal symptoms, lol.
>
> Bev
> --
> I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.
May 14, 2004 8:43:04 PM

Hey Bev,

i'd suggest that you try the demo for Morrowind before you buy it to see
whether it fits your taste. personally, i had a really hard time to get to
used to the first-person perspective in a fantasy RPG. i sold my copies of
Morrowind GOTY and Arx Fatalis after playing them for about an hour each.
about Planescape Torment, recently i've seen it being sold on Interplay's
webstore, it comes in a bundle with Fallout and BG and costed $70+. you
certainly do get the bang for your buck though, IMO.

on a side note, i don't understand all the talk about how fantastic
Morrowind's graphics are - after i've seen it in person, i think it was all
hype. after playing Morrowind, my eyes felt like bleeding. it was bad even
for a two-years old game.

best,

Eric
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 9:35:04 PM

PS:T is a *damn* good game, but it is roleplaying more than most
games...there are only about 5 required fights throughout the whole
game. It invloves a lot of reading. That's the kind of game I like,
though, and if you do to, check eBay/Amazon, it's worth paying a bit
extra for such a great game :)

Phillip
batiu-drami.blogspot.com

Daniel wrote:
> I just recently played Planescape: Torment for the first time and really
> enjoyed it. It's in the similar vein graphically to BG2 (it was made about
> the same time as IWD1, between BG1 and 2 -- I remember being in the store
> that year with IWD and PS:T in my hand, and for some reason deciding on
> IWD... but I'm glad that I've gotten the opportunity to play it now). It is
> very story-intensive, which is great. Character "creation" also takes an
> interesting spin, which I liked too. The only problem is that it's a bit
> hard to get ahold of now that it's out of print.
>
> "Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>
>>I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
>>shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
>>has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
>>the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
>>is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
>>wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
>>that dear.
>>
>>Bev
>>
>>--
>>.

May 15, 2004 12:01:52 AM

"Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've played many hours of Morrowind ... left it for a while to play other
> stuff, but it is a fun game. You can get the GOTY edition for a good
price
> (which is what I did) so I heartily recommend it.

The GOTY edition is excellent value.

> In the vein of Morrowind I would strongly recommend Gothic II. Boy I
> enjoyed that game - pretty linear in terms of questing, but there is true
> day/night, moral choices, 'shop hours' and so on.

I really enjoyed Gothic II...bar one thing. I had one problem after another
with the game crashing. The graphics and game world are excellent.

> Also there is Arx Fatalis. That is pretty good, but not nearly on scale
> with the others. It could have been better, but there are areas where you
> will have no idea what to do next (I use the RPGDot forums for those).

Like Arx. But I never finished because the I got sick of some of the
occasions where you feel like you are going round in circles!

> I'm playing Sacred now. I know there's a plot, but it is the travel,
quests
> (literally hundreds) and battles that make it cool.

That's on my list to get. I've only heard good things about it so far. Would
you place it closer to DiabloII or BG?

Cheers

PM
May 15, 2004 12:05:11 AM

"Daniel" <dvandersluisREMOVE@SPAMsympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I was lucky and found a friend who happened to have it and was willing to
> lend it to me for a couple weeks while I played it. I don't think you'll
> have any luck at all in major stores, but maybe small shops will have a
> copy? Or maybe check on amazon or ebay?

I am one of the lucky people who bought it when it first came out - Infinity
Engine = I buy it ;-)
I think it is a very good game indeed, but certainly very different to any
of the other IE games.

I was most surprised to find out just how hard it is to get a copy. I had a
quick search for it and people are asking £50+ on ebay - not to sure how
much they are actually selling for.

PM
May 15, 2004 7:38:04 AM

"Eric" <drama@for.your.mom> wrote in message news:40a567df_1@news.vic.com...
> Hey Bev,
>
> i'd suggest that you try the demo for Morrowind before you buy it to see
> whether it fits your taste.

Always a good idea.

>personally, i had a really hard time to get to
> used to the first-person perspective in a fantasy RPG. i sold my copies of
> Morrowind GOTY and Arx Fatalis after playing them for about an hour each.
> about Planescape Torment, recently i've seen it being sold on Interplay's
> webstore, it comes in a bundle with Fallout and BG and costed $70+. you
> certainly do get the bang for your buck though, IMO.

I have not seen that offer in UK. Fallout series, however, is easy to get
hold for <£5 last time I checked.

Also, Arx is a frustrating game, but it's rewarding if you stick with it.
Personally, I dropped it on an occasion where I got fed-up of chasing my
tail (as it felt like). I had got plenty of play for my money by then
(especially as my partner bought it ;-)

> on a side note, i don't understand all the talk about how fantastic
> Morrowind's graphics are - after i've seen it in person, i think it was
all
> hype. after playing Morrowind, my eyes felt like bleeding. it was bad even
> for a two-years old game.

You are the first person I've seen say that, what free-roaming game do you
think is better graphically? There are some things about Morrowind that
annoyed me, but my eyes never felt like bleeding!

> best,
>
> Eric

May 15, 2004 11:37:49 AM

PM wrote:

> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've played many hours of Morrowind ... left it for a while to play other
> > stuff, but it is a fun game. You can get the GOTY edition for a good
> price
> > (which is what I did) so I heartily recommend it.
>
> The GOTY edition is excellent value.
>
> > In the vein of Morrowind I would strongly recommend Gothic II. Boy I
> > enjoyed that game - pretty linear in terms of questing, but there is true
> > day/night, moral choices, 'shop hours' and so on.
>
> I really enjoyed Gothic II...bar one thing. I had one problem after another
> with the game crashing. The graphics and game world are excellent.
>
> > Also there is Arx Fatalis. That is pretty good, but not nearly on scale
> > with the others. It could have been better, but there are areas where you
> > will have no idea what to do next (I use the RPGDot forums for those).
>
> Like Arx. But I never finished because the I got sick of some of the
> occasions where you feel like you are going round in circles!
>
> > I'm playing Sacred now. I know there's a plot, but it is the travel,
> quests
> > (literally hundreds) and battles that make it cool.
>
> That's on my list to get. I've only heard good things about it so far. Would
> you place it closer to DiabloII or BG?
>
> Cheers
>
> PM

I've taken note of Sacred and Gothic II - I have seen Diablo II around
but didn't know much about it. Thanks for the info. I might have a
look on e-Bay for PT - think it would be worth playing even if I had to
pay a bit more for it.

Bev
--
I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 10:41:04 AM

"PM" <none@invalid.address> wrote in message

> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm playing Sacred now. I know there's a plot, but it is the travel,
> quests
> > (literally hundreds) and battles that make it cool.
>
> That's on my list to get. I've only heard good things about it so far.
Would
> you place it closer to DiabloII or BG?

Definitely Diablo II (based on what I've heard anyway ... never played it).

I have to say I've hit a bit of a lull with it now ... feel like I'm going
in repetitive circles. Maybe my next major area will make things
interesting again ...

Mike
May 17, 2004 11:36:49 PM

Another game I'd suggest would be Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I
just recently started playing it, and have really enjoyed it to date. Yes,
it's not a classic Infinity Engine oblique-view game (which is somewhat
unfortunate -- to me, at least), but it is an excellent RPG.

"Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
> shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
> has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
> the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
> is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
> wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
> that dear.
>
> Bev
>
> --
> .
May 18, 2004 5:50:50 AM

> Another game I'd suggest would be Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
> just recently started playing it, and have really enjoyed it to date. Yes,
> it's not a classic Infinity Engine oblique-view game (which is somewhat
> unfortunate -- to me, at least), but it is an excellent RPG.

Cool, t'is Bioware afterall

> "Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
> > shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
> > has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
> > the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
> > is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
> > wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
> > that dear.
> >
> > Bev
> >
> > --
> > .

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:52:50 AM

Michael Anderson wrote:
> "PM" <none@invalid.address> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm playing Sacred now. I know there's a plot, but it is the
>>> travel, quests (literally hundreds) and battles that make it cool.
>>
>> That's on my list to get. I've only heard good things about it so
>> far. Would you place it closer to DiabloII or BG?
>>

> Definitely Diablo II (based on what I've heard anyway ... never
> played it).

Agreed, it's way closer to D2 than to to BG2 (at least the demo was, I
haven't played the full version of Sacred).

Devast8or
May 18, 2004 11:32:23 AM

Michael Anderson wrote:

> "PM" <none@invalid.address> wrote in message
> >
> > "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm playing Sacred now. I know there's a plot, but it is the travel,
> > quests
> > > (literally hundreds) and battles that make it cool.
> >
> > That's on my list to get. I've only heard good things about it so far.
> Would
> > you place it closer to DiabloII or BG?
> >

> Definitely Diablo II (based on what I've heard anyway ... never played it).
>
> I have to say I've hit a bit of a lull with it now ... feel like I'm going
> in repetitive circles. Maybe my next major area will make things
> interesting again ...
>
> Mike

I saw Diabloo II in the shop and wondered if would be good to play - how
does it compare to Baldur's Gate II.

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
Anonymous

> I saw Diabloo II in the shop and wondered if would be good to play - how
> does it compare to Baldur's Gate II.
>
> Bev

I haven't played it, but based on Sacred:
- the combat mechanic is very different
- the game is action-oriented, not story oriented
- there is no 'party'
- NPC interaction is small and limited

In Sacred, to attack, you left-click on what you want to kill, and your
selected weapon is used in attack. Right click and your chosen
combo/spell/special move is done. These must recharge before using them
again.

Mike
May 18, 2004 11:32:25 AM

> In Sacred, to attack, you left-click on what you want to kill, and your
> selected weapon is used in attack. Right click and your chosen
> combo/spell/special move is done. These must recharge before using them
> again.
Apolgies if this is a resend - showed as not sent on good ol' OE

That's D2. Thanks for the feedback on Sacred. I don't supose you've tried
the multiplayer? I heard it's a shed, but then there's always patches.

PM
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 11:32:26 AM

> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In Sacred, to attack, you left-click on what you want to kill, and your
> > selected weapon is used in attack. Right click and your chosen
> > combo/spell/special move is done. These must recharge before using them
> > again.
> Apolgies if this is a resend - showed as not sent on good ol' OE
>
> That's D2. Thanks for the feedback on Sacred. I don't supose you've tried
> the multiplayer? I heard it's a shed, but then there's always patches.
>
> PM

No ... I'm not much of a MP person, not with my FPS games nor RPG's.

Mike
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 4:56:04 PM

PM wrote:
> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In Sacred, to attack, you left-click on what you want to kill, and
>> your selected weapon is used in attack. Right click and your chosen
>> combo/spell/special move is done. These must recharge before using
>> them again.
> Apolgies if this is a resend - showed as not sent on good ol' OE
>
> That's D2. Thanks for the feedback on Sacred. I don't supose you've
> tried the multiplayer? I heard it's a shed, but then there's always
> patches.
>
> PM

Some of the guys in alt.games.diablo play Sacred, you could go over there
and ask if you want some input on it. I'm sure they'll help you, they're
generally a nice bunch of people.

Devast8or
May 18, 2004 11:07:34 PM

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Some of the guys in alt.games.diablo play Sacred, you could go over there
> and ask if you want some input on it. I'm sure they'll help you, they're
> generally a nice bunch of people.

Thanks for your comments. I'm a long long time lurker in AGD and AGD2 (going
back to way before DII game out) and there has been quite a lot of topics on
Sacred recently. I was just wondering what the Baldurs community thought of
it as well.

Cheers

> Devast8or

October 27, 2009 2:02:03 AM

bev said:

I have been looking at a gold version of Morrowind at the computer games
shop. Does anyone have any experience with it. The one I am looking at
has expansions included. I played NWN a while back and tried to load
the expansion SOU - it refused to load and I returned it. I see there
is a gold edition out complete with expansion and some modules -
wondered if I should buy that for the expansion and modules. It's not
that dear.

Bev

--
..

Well, I personally like RPG games with a great gameplay above all other things, graphics ...story....it can even be a 2D game as long as I can have fun with it. Morrowind ownz btw

Ive been searching for some time now and I did found a couple of games that I really enjoy, I even bought their full versions to kill some time, they were pretty cheap so Ive purchased them. (2 games for less than 10 USD LOL)

the games are Soul Knights RPG (http://www.soulknightsrpg.com) and Buffz RPG (http://www.buffzrpg.com)

both from Lizard -2D Entertainment- (http://www.lizard2dentertainment.com)

hope you like em :na:

cyaz