my 1st adsl connection - can you help?

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
I am about to move house to central london and will have to lose my current cable connection and replace it with adsl as there is no cable facility in my new flat.

I currently have 3 pc's connected together via a d-link DI-604 broadband router with 4 ports. As a student i dont particularly want to have to spend a lot of money on a new adsl modem / 4 port router and i was wondering whether it was possible to buy a single ethernet compatible adsl modem and link it to my broadband router?

This would mean i get all 3 pcs running on 1 connection and it would also allow me to take advantage of the built in firewall within my d-link router. My main concern however, is that the adsl is a modem and will need to be connected directly to a pc!

Can someone please clear this issue up for me?

Has anyone tried connecting a adsl ethernet modem to a broadband router?

Someone please unwire me...the gadgets are taking over!

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Even if the connection via a broadband router does work - how on earth do i dial in. Do i have to have dial in details on all my pcs?

I saw somewhere that i could set 1 pc as the server, but does that mean the other pcs will have to send and recieve all their internet data via that pc.

Wish i new more about networking - maybe it is time to learn?

sturm

Splendid
Yes you can run all 3 pcs thru the router. Run the setup that came with the router. There should be an option or something to tell it your on a ppoe connection.

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Does the PPP over ethernet protocol basically manage the logging on function through the modem?

If so that would be great as i wouldn't have to buy another expensive router, i would also be able to keep my firewall protection from the router.

Are there any negatives in having a set up like this? Have you or anyone actually done this with their adsl connection?

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciatted.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
You should have no problems. We have an ADSL connection at work through a router, and it works great. There should be a setting somewhere in the router for ppoe connections. just enter your login/password there, and you are set.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW