Only half my ram is usable

Tags:
  • Asus
  • RAM
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
October 28, 2011 3:36:11 AM

Hello. I recently bought 4gb of ram to add to the existing 4gb in my computer. To eliminate the obvious first questions, yes, it is the exact same ram. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... My mobo is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

After installing it and booting up it is telling me I have 8gb but only 4gb is usable:
[/URL]

As the picture shows I DO have a 64bit Windows 7 so that isn't the problem either. I have gone into MSCONFIG>Boot>Advanced Options>unchecked "number of processors" and "maximum memory." I've also updated my bios from the manufacturers website. The Memory Remap setting in my BIOS is also enabled. I do not know what else to do. If anyone has a solution to this problem I would be very grateful for sharing it.

More about : half ram usable

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 97 V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 3:53:25 AM

Does the new ram work by itself? Try flipping the remap in the bios, perhaps its backwards?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 4:03:43 AM

I looked through Newegg and I could not find your cpu anywhere and the motherboard has been deactivated so my question is how long have you had the cpu , MB and ram. I know you said you recently bought 4gb more of what you say is the same ram but judging from what I have seen so far I don't think it is the same and that is your problem. The ram you provided the link to is 1.5v , is that the same voltage as the ram you had?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 4:09:26 AM

Hello...

This problem may occur because the Maximum memory option is selected incorrectly. To fix this, follow these steps:

1.type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.

2.In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.

3.Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.

4.Restart the computer.

Did you confirm that the Maximum Memory setting saved/stuck/took your change?

Did it show a maximum setting of only 4gb and the box was checked and enabled?

Did you re-run the WINDOWS EXPERIENCE TESTS to see if text has changed?

What does your TASKMANAGER report under the TAB - Performance - Physical Memory - Total? Cached? Available? Free?

The other reference to your problem lies with Graphic drivers reserving that memory for usage... can you give more information on your current graphics hardware/software you are using?
m
l
October 28, 2011 7:20:19 AM

@4745454b
That did not work. It ended up giving me less (3.5gb)

@inzone
I have owned this computer for 1 year and 17 days exactly. the CPU is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (also deactivated for some reason.) Also, all of the ram is 1.5v. Same numbers on everything.

@IronSounds
Maximum Memory setting when checked sits at over 8000 (8gb.) However it was unchecked when I first looked. When I check the box and click ok, then restart, it does not stick. It remains unchecked next time I go back and look. I re-ran the Windows Experience Test. No change in amount of usable ram.

GFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... with the latest drivers (11.10)

New discovery: the new ram has xmp in front of the timing specs.
old version: F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 2GBx2 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v (2010 Oct)
new version: F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 2GBx2 XMP CL9-9-9-24 1.5v (2011 Sept)

I suspect this is the problem. In which case I have a bone to pick with Newegg/G.Skill for not mentioning this update. I still don't understand why it recognizes that I have 8gb but only uses 4gb. Anyways, is there any solution to getting both sets to work together?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 97 V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 9:31:02 AM

8GBs is being seen in places, so its not a compatibility issue. If you added the ram and everything still said 4GBs, then it might be. I think it's a setting issue, but you've done all the ones I can think of.
m
l
October 28, 2011 10:07:40 AM

But that's the thing. Technically as far as I can tell they are 2 separate sets of ram. Set one (Oct 2010) and set two (sep 2011). The newer one has some sort of change in it that makes it different than the older version. As such my computer will recognize all 8gb of installed ram, but will only use 4gb (1 set) at a time. I sincerely hope there is a way to get them working together through settings, but I am at a loss.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 97 V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 10:13:03 AM

But thats just it. If it sees both set, it should be using both sets. You've already checked all the things I know of that would prevent both from being used. (32bit windows, memory remap, msconfig.)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 6:02:46 PM

Right Click on your taskbar... and Click on Start Task Manager

What does your TASK MANAGER report under the TAB - Performance - Physical Memory - Total? Cached? Available? Free?
m
l
October 28, 2011 10:22:07 PM

Well it seems windows is now recognizing 7.5gb of the 8 installed.

here is my taskmanager:

I took the ram out and went to bed. Popped it in one last time today and now it seems like all but half a gig is being used. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it had something to do with the slots I placed them in. The older ram is in slots 2 and 4 and have been in those slots since I built the computer. Maybe flipping the 2 new ones from 3 to 1 and vice versa made the difference. Anyways, is it normal to have 7.5gb usable or is their a way to get that .5gb back?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 7:48:46 PM

Hello... well it seems un-installing and re-installing your Ram made a difference... You could try using rubbing alcohol and cleaning your Ram contacts to get the rest of the memory available.
m
l
!