Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why would someone want an i7-2600K over an i5-2500K?

Last response: in CPUs
February 23, 2011 3:39:32 PM

Hey guys,

Aside from the slightly higher clock speed, why would someone want to pay ~$100 more on an i7-2600K over the i5-2500K?

Are Hyper-Threading and 2 MB more of L3 cache the only difference? What exactly might you gain from HT and 2 MB more L3 cache? Are there any gaming benefits from this?

It seems like everyone is recommending the i5-2500K, but I'm curious about what you lose out on by going that route?

Thanks,
-TG

More about : 2600k 2500k

a c 105 à CPUs
February 23, 2011 3:42:13 PM

how can people compensate for tiny genitalia without getting something bigger, faster, etc., then the next guy?? answer me that! :kaola: 
m
l
February 23, 2011 3:45:57 PM

My opinion is that you lose some quantity of 'future proofing'
Maybe in two years all games will use hyperthreading?

But both are very high end; so even though I am at this moment having the same problem choosing between the two, it might not really matter.

If someone told me Dragon Age 2 will need hyperthreading to perform well, I would grab the 2600k. But I bet most every game will be easily handled by a 2500k.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2011 3:47:12 PM

ct1615 said:
how can people compensate for tiny genitalia without getting something bigger, faster, etc., then the next guy?? answer me that! :kaola: 

I have learned to accept my tiny genitalia. It took a few years but I am at peace now.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
February 23, 2011 3:48:20 PM

Bill47 said:

If someone told me Dragon Age 2 will need hyperthreading to perform well, I would grab the 2600k. But I bet most every game will be easily handled by a 2500k.

i ran the DA2 PC demo, my phenom II x4 was under 20% use the whole time. it may use hyperthreading but it certainly does not not need it. FYI, its a pure console hack & slash game that has been ported to the PC
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
February 23, 2011 3:52:57 PM

Bill47 said:
I have learned to accept my tiny genitalia. It took a few years but I am at peace now.

the fact is most modern CPUs are more then enough for PC gaming. developers won't start pushing the envelope again until new consoles come out (2-3 years), by then the SB CPUs will look slow compared to that market
m
l
February 23, 2011 4:13:25 PM

The issue is that Hyperthreading isn't used by games in general, the 2mb increased cache isn't going to do any good. Hyperthreading has actually lead to lower performance in some games (where the i5 essentially beats the i7). However - if you are not a pure gamer, there are tons of advantages. As soon as you are doing something that hyperthreading effects the performance boost is big, as can be seen from the 3dmark scores in the table above.
m
l
February 23, 2011 4:20:05 PM

ct1615 said:
i ran the DA2 PC demo, my phenom II x4 was under 20% use the whole time. it may use hyperthreading but it certainly does not not need it. FYI, its a pure console hack & slash game that has been ported to the PC

Great! I can assume my new 2600k with a gtx570sc will crush dragon Age 2!

I'll probably go with the 2600k even if the 2500k is plenty powerful.
May as well get a new computer instead of wasting money on my retirement fund.
m
l
February 23, 2011 5:08:27 PM

Quote:
HT doesn't work in games so the 2500K would be fine.

I'm assuming there should be a "yet" at the end of that statement?

So, by the time HT will be widely used in games...it should be time for an upgrade anyway and the $100 saved now should be saved for that?

Are there any examples of frequently used or more popular programs that do make good use of HT...or are they pretty much all for a specific user type...if you get what I'm asking here?
m
l
February 23, 2011 6:55:35 PM

2600K is just better. Personally think intel bit dumb to put a K version of the 2500 out there and a non-K version of the 2600 for that matter. I just like the 2600K and my MSi GD65 OC Genie likes it too. Push the the button and it's 4.2GHz without even trying and there's only cold air coming out so bags to go yet.
m
l
February 23, 2011 10:21:56 PM

Quote:
HT isn't a real core and would be useless in gaming.

OK, I understand what you are saying about gaming...but what about...

"Are there any examples of frequently used or more popular programs that do make good use of HT...or are they pretty much all for a specific user type...if you get what I'm asking here?"

I'm trying to figure out if I would be missing out on anything important/cool.

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 10:31:03 PM

Microsoft Flight Simulator X shows a noticable improvement with hyperthreading.
I am sure that the upcoming Microsoft Flight will as well.
m
l

Best solution

a c 105 à CPUs
February 23, 2011 11:14:20 PM

TopGun said:

I'm trying to figure out if I would be missing out on anything important/cool.

video encoding, flight sims, non-real world benchmarks all take advantage of HT. for gaming, the heavy lifting is done by the GPU.
a c 203 à CPUs
February 23, 2011 11:37:27 PM

1. They do something productive with their computers when they are not gaming

2. They have enough disposable income that $100 is insignificant.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 11:41:46 PM

jj463rd said:
Microsoft Flight Simulator X shows a noticable improvement with hyperthreading.
I am sure that the upcoming Microsoft Flight will as well.

Wow. i must be behind the times. :pt1cable: 

I thought they ended that series.
m
l
February 23, 2011 11:42:07 PM

All right guys...thank you for helping explain everything. I feel like I'm learning a ton lately and will feel a lot more confident while putting together my 2nd homemade PC.

I was planning to get the i5-2500K anyway, but all this info sure makes me feel a lot better about that decision.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 11:44:47 PM

TopGun said:
All right guys...thank you for helping explain everything. I feel like I'm learning a ton lately and will feel a lot more confident while putting together my 2nd homemade PC.

I was planning to get the i5-2500K anyway, but all this info sure makes me feel a lot better about that decision.

Basically the moral of the story is: if you cant use the power the i7 has, you dont need to waste money for it.

For me, If I had the money i would go after the 2600K due to F@H need for high amounts of cores and threads.
m
l
February 23, 2011 11:50:06 PM

warmon6 said:
Basically the moral of the story is: if you cant use the power the i7 has, you dont need to waste money for it.

For me, If I had the money i would go after the 2600K due to F@H need for high amounts of cores and threads.

What is F@H anyway? I keep seeing it referred to, but never explained.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 11:53:07 PM

warmon6 said:
Wow. i must be behind the times. :pt1cable: 

I thought they ended that series.

Well they did but so many people still purchased FSX that Microsoft just reconsidered I think and is completely revamping the series.
The are a ton of 3rd party add ons (complex accusim aircraft A2ASimulations) ,extensive modifications for FSX (numerous companies Orbx terrain).
One company has announced recently an add on (TacPack) that will convert it to a combat flight simulator initially with a extensively detailed F/A 18E (Vertical Reality Simulations) and later for other 3rd party aircraft.
I just ordered a 5th copy of FSX Gold Edition just a few days ago for a future PC.I might even get a couple of extra ones on top of that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 11:56:29 PM

TopGun said:
What is F@H anyway? I keep seeing it referred to, but never explained.

I'm sorry, i should of used it's full name (Folding@Home). Too used to typing "F@H" around here as everyone knows what it is somewhat.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Although to give a quick summary, It's a protein folding simulation project run by standford university that runs on people computers via a program. With this, they hope to find cures to diseases and cancers.

If you want more info, the banner below by post is clickable to the Folding@home thread we have here on tom's that has much more info, links, and you can ask even more questions. :) 

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 12:15:24 AM

Quote:
that thing can knock a cpu down to size lol. If the best of cpus struggle to get a decent 30 fps in it. Dont they use it to train pilots as well lol

With some 3rd party aircraft and some mods easily it makes for good training.Stock it's kinda poor for thatI am going to wait until Zambezi comes out and compare it with the i7-2600K.If it proves better than Zambezi it is paired with perhaps a GTX 580 or newer better card by then.There are quite a few other flight simulators,combat flight simulators coming out lately.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
February 24, 2011 11:57:29 AM

TopGun said:

So, by the time HT will be widely used in games...it should be time for an upgrade anyway and the $100 saved now should be saved for that?

And by that time, we have 6, 8, or more cores.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 1:36:57 PM

Quote:
HT isn't a real core and would be useless in gaming.

Note entirely, there are some tasks where you don't need all the resources of a core, and a hyperthreaded one would give the same performance benifits. The main problem is the Windows Scheduler, which does not do a good job of allocating threads to individual cores...
m
l
March 5, 2011 4:10:02 AM

TopGun said:
Hey guys,

Aside from the slightly higher clock speed, why would someone want to pay ~$100 more on an i7-2600K over the i5-2500K?

Are Hyper-Threading and 2 MB more of L3 cache the only difference? What exactly might you gain from HT and 2 MB more L3 cache? Are there any gaming benefits from this?

It seems like everyone is recommending the i5-2500K, but I'm curious about what you lose out on by going that route?

Thanks,
-TG

There aren't much gaming benefits. In fact, most games won't see much benefit over the first generation iX series.

The big difference besides the HT and cache size (as you mentioned) is that the 2500K is using HD2000 graphics, whereas the 2600K is using the newer HD3000 graphics. This doesn't matter too much, unless you're trying to do QuickSync, which has proven very beneficial when doing video editing.

m
l
March 15, 2011 10:22:12 PM

It's difficult to select a best answer. How do you qualify it? Best answer for me specifically? Best answer that addresses the question most thoroughly? Best answer for the person doing a search on the subject? A combination of all these things?

I'll do my best, biasing mostly towards the best answer for me specifically.
m
l
March 15, 2011 10:25:28 PM

Best answer selected by TopGun.
m
l
!