Upgrading a CPU

Phyon

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hey all just joined the site and was wondering if I could get some help on something. I am wanting to replace the cpu in my current computer. The one currently in the computer is a Intel Pentium E2210 2.2 GHz.

This computer is used mostly for gaming. I am not exactly sure what kind cpu fit in the computer either but I am using windows 7 pro and have access to windows xp and vista of that matters specifically If other info then the cpu is needed here is a link to all the specs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-et1810-03/4507-3118_7-33709100.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

If that link does not work the computer is a emachines-et1810-03 I can copy in all the specs.
The only extra thing added to the computer so far is a ati radeon hd 4300/4500 series video card inside it. Though after the cpu I am planning on adding some more ram to the computer.

Solution
The oem systems aren't designed for a cpu upgrade; even ram upgrades may not work due to the lack of bios adjustments. They are designed to prevent the owner from changing to a setting that would cause a no post situation. Your cpu fsb is 800, which limits your possible choices. I've used the e4300 and e4500 cpus, which may work, but don't offer alot of performance gain. You may find them used for around $35-40. Anything newer or with 1066 fsb may not post. The older 1066 cpus include the e6400 dual core. You would just have to try the new cpu. Also the power supply is pretty weak, often only 250 watts.
The oem systems aren't designed for a cpu upgrade; even ram upgrades may not work due to the lack of bios adjustments. They are designed to prevent the owner from changing to a setting that would cause a no post situation. Your cpu fsb is 800, which limits your possible choices. I've used the e4300 and e4500 cpus, which may work, but don't offer alot of performance gain. You may find them used for around $35-40. Anything newer or with 1066 fsb may not post. The older 1066 cpus include the e6400 dual core. You would just have to try the new cpu. Also the power supply is pretty weak, often only 250 watts.

Solution

Phyon

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for the help after looking at those other cpus It seems not to be worth getting a different cpu for the computer. I suppose I should start looking at getting a new computer.

TRENDING THREADS