Sign in with
Your question

Old CPU & Video

Last response: in CPUs
February 23, 2011 4:47:06 PM

I have an old computer that I use for home use and Gaming. Here are the main parts that I have, as well as what I could upgrade to. I am on a tight budget othewise I would make a new system, which is a possibility.

I have:
Motherboard: Biostar P4M80-M4
CPU: Socket 478 2.8 ghz
Video Card: ATI 9700 Pro 128
2 gig ram

I am looking for options on what I could do to improve performance.

I could get a Intel P4 3.6 ghz for $55 including shipping;or a P4 3.2 ghz for $15. I may need a fan for this, maybe $30.

For video card I could get Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4650 1 GB 2DVI AGP Video Card 100288L for $80
OR
I could do this, I don’t know that my system can support crossfire, but it is fairly cheap and if I had to I could get 2. I

Visiontek 900284 Radeon HD 3650 Video Card - 1GB DDR2, AGP, CrossFireX Ready, DVI, S-Video, VGA, Recertified
Radeon HD 3600 Series of GPUs enable you to experience the power of HD with graphics processing designed for entertainment & productivity.
$59.99

I need a good case fan as mine is currently very noise, and old.

Will an upgraded CPU give me much more performance?

Obviously a video card would help the most, what is the best AGP video card out for the money? I did read on an older post that a 3850 would be the best, so I dont know how out dated that is.

I welcome your suggestions.

Basically I could upgrade with some fans, CPU and VC for about $165. I think I would have to spend around $400-500 to even start to build a decent PC with a decent MB, CPU, VC etc?

More about : cpu video

February 23, 2011 4:58:30 PM

This is a really old computer I am not sure what kind of gaming you want from this but you wont ever get it playing new games really well if at all. First the cpu its single core so that is pretty bad at this point what you can get on the market I would say that alone you should look into buying a new computer.

What you posted would be upgrades but it really would be so much better if you went and bought a new computer. even spending what you posted seems a waste. You are right about the price to build a a somewhat decent price would be around $400-500 you could try ebay perhaps to get something else.

But just from looking at what you have it really is a poor choice to upgrade that computer. There just seems better choices then what you have.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 106 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 9:38:29 PM

Socket 478 only went up to the 3.4GHz EE. A 3.6GHz CPU has to be LGA 775 which you can't use on your board. Make sure that the 3.2GHz P4 is Socket 478 and that it has Hyper Threading. I'm pretty sure there was a version without. Really though you may as well try for the 3.4EE if you can find one for cheap.

The fastest AGP card is the 4670, but your CPU is way to slow to get the full benefit. A 3650 is a better fit for you, though you will have to deal with the AGP hotfix drivers. You could also try getting a 6800GT/Ultra AGP card, 7600GT AGP, or 7900 AGP card from eBay for cheap. It's a bit harder to deal with the drivers of the X1900 AGP cards and some motherboards don't like them.

I really wouldn't spend too much money on this. Save up for a good CPU/Motherboard/RAM combo. As for casefans they are cheap enough over on newegg.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 12:59:39 AM

It would be great to play all your old Win98 games, beyond that it is pretty much ready for the recycle bin, and certainly not worth spending any more money on.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 2:19:55 AM

take a look at this
http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/sys/2227042458.html
it is a Pentium Dual Core E2180 3gb ram 320gb hd with a monitor for
$75 new jersey usa craigslist.
I found that in ten minutes of looking
if you have craigslist in your area then buying a used OEM dual core system
is feasible with $165
if you look at this post I made you can see what I did
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/299775-28-good-core2d...
Building a custom tower is really the way to go but
when budget is a factor than buying used OEM machines especially ones
designed for businesses (usually OEMs have specific model lines targeted at the
business sector for example Dell has Precision and Optiplex) can be a good way to go.
With some good bargaining skills you can find some decent deals on
Craiglist but just remember to be careful
February 24, 2011 3:31:43 AM

Your old board does not have 2 slots, so no crossfire.
The old P4s were/are such power hogs, that you could buy a high end system, and recover your cost by reduced electric bills over the next year.
Simon offers a good option, though your old DDR will not work, so you will need ram as well.
The onboard gfx is good enough to hold you till you can get a decent add in card.
The other problem is you will need a new psu, since the asrock board requires the newer 24 pin power feed.
I would stay away from craigslist, because you have to be too carefull.
Good luck.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 4:14:51 AM

So far the OP has stated they have about 165 dollars to spend.
So unless the budget can stretch they cant do those builds
@Dadiggle nice build for $500
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 4:51:33 AM

99 for combo
35 for card
$30 for ram? his old board used older DDR
$40 for PSU
$40 for case
$30 for small sata HD
$20 for sata dvd-rw
equals about $265
was roughly estimating costs on some parts
it is only a hundred more than his stated budget
if he can save or afford to do it
It would be a nice little budget system

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 5:34:26 AM

Quote:
Ddr? Lol the dual core 59.99
The asrock mobo 39.99
Gpu 39.99
Psu 39.99
He can use his old case.
Ram 30usd

Sell of the old system on ebay. 9ghz pentuim

dont forget dvdrw for $20
if the asrock has IGP than can hold off on card if money is tight.

Yea I love descriptions of HT on Craiglist and Ebay.
I have always been a fan of HT but it sure is misunderstood
February 24, 2011 1:27:12 PM

Thank you for all the reply's. It sounds like just doing a quicky fix to help this dinosaur is not the best thought. I can hope to get $350 from the wife after the next bonus for a PC. That may open things up a little more?

In this PC I also have a 1 tb HD, it is new, as well as a new lightscribe DVD burner. I appreciate the help.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 3:41:40 PM

If the HD and DVD are sata then they are reusable for new build.
With $350 and if you are willing to build yourself then you can put together
a system that would blow away the old P4 2.8 you had.
If you ask on Toms and state your budget and what parts you have to use
there are plenty of members here who will give you great
build parts list.
They can give you all the links for the parts online to buy.
!