Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

large prints from digital file?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:40:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
(around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
digital file?

Thanks.

-Joel
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:40:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>
> Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
> (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
> digital file?

http://www.ofoto.com ?

>
> Thanks.
>
> -Joel
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:40:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

www.iphotoshop.com


"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:QVYGd.1423$1_4.172@fe11.lga...
> Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
> (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
> digital file?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Joel
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:45:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

www.photobox.co.uk

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:QVYGd.1423$1_4.172@fe11.lga...
> Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
> (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
> digital file?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Joel
>
January 18, 2005 3:50:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

www.ezprints.com

> Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
> (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
> digital file?
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:10:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:21:18 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote:
> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
>> (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
>> digital file?
>
> http://www.ofoto.com ?

Gack no.

I bought prints from them once. They did all sorts of processing
on it. I don't have the digital imaging experience to know exactly
what they did, but the colors looked brighter, the shadows were
brought up, etc. I guess they treat every image as if it were a
snapshot made by some dad on a holiday.

If you're looking for a faithful expression of your photographic
vision, do not buy prints from Ofoto. (If you have no idea what
you're doing, don't care to learn, and just want 4x6s with splashy
color, they're probably great.)

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
--Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:10:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Ben Rosengart wrote:
>
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:21:18 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote:
> > Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
> >> (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
> >> digital file?
> >
> > http://www.ofoto.com ?
>
> Gack no.
>
> I bought prints from them once. They did all sorts of processing
> on it. I don't have the digital imaging experience to know exactly
> what they did, but the colors looked brighter, the shadows were
> brought up, etc. I guess they treat every image as if it were a
> snapshot made by some dad on a holiday.
>
> If you're looking for a faithful expression of your photographic
> vision, do not buy prints from Ofoto. (If you have no idea what
> you're doing, don't care to learn, and just want 4x6s with splashy
> color, they're probably great.)

kodak bought software that brings out detail on shadows and highlights,
and seem to use it themselves.

>
> --
> Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
> Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
> questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
> --Josh Micah Marshall
January 18, 2005 5:39:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:QVYGd.1423$1_4.172@fe11.lga...
> Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
> (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
> digital file?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Joel
>

Kodak's OFOTO.COM goes as high as 20 x 30, and they claim that they can use
a file as small as 2MP. Must use interpolation. Costs about $18.00 per
print.
January 18, 2005 5:57:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:nc9Hd.301$PA2.291@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> news:QVYGd.1423$1_4.172@fe11.lga...
> > Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
> > (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
> > digital file?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Joel
> >
>
> Kodak's OFOTO.COM goes as high as 20 x 30, and they claim that they can
use
> a file as small as 2MP. Must use interpolation. Costs about $18.00 per
> print.


Probably looks fine, viewed from space.

H.



>
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:15:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
>> news:QVYGd.1423$1_4.172@fe11.lga...
>> > Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
>> > (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
>> > digital file?

Thanks for all the responses. It turns out that my favorite on-line
site, dotphoto.com, also does this, but instead of calling the large
prints "prints," the site calls them "gifts." I still have to choose
from ready-made sizes (12x18, 16x20, 18x24, 20x30 and 24x36), but I
can live with that.

They'll do a 20x30 poster from a 3MP file....

-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:41:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"PGG" <pa_paSPAAMgordygrapes@NO_SP_A_Myahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.01.18.00.50.40.264000@NO_SP_A_Myahoo.com...
> www.ezprints.com

Their home pages confuses me. If you are a pro you can no longer sign up?
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

http://bigphotohelp.com/
January 20, 2005 2:25:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

some costco can do 12 x 18 pics for 2.99

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good place on-line for getting large prints
> (around 2' by 3', hopefully with me specifying the size) from a
> digital file?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Joel
!