AMD X6 Memory controller, no dual channel with 4 DIMMS?

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I've been eyeing an X6 for a while. Today on Newegg while adding one to my cart, I noticed this in the 'Details' section - Dual Channel PC3-10667U (DDR3-1333) for 2 modules, Dual Channel PC3-8500U (DDR3-1066), Dual Channel PC2-8500U (DDR2-1066).

I'm not sure what to make of it. Does this mean that the AMD CPU's will only do DDR3-1333 dual channel with two DIMMs installed and not four? And if so, if I stepped down to DDR3-1066, could I do dual channel w/four DIMMs installed?

Maybe Newegg has a typo/glitch in the description (I've seen them list Radeon 5450's w/128-bit memory buses which definitely do not exist), or maybe the AMD CPU won't do dual channel w/four DIMMs present.

If anyone one has an answer, please let me know!

If you have 4 matching sticks it will run dual channel just fine, you can run two sticks per channel and as long as the first one on each channel matches teh other first and the seconds match it will run fine in dual channel mode. Newegg has serious typos at times, look through the combos you might find some fun ones. I enjoy triple combos that have an AM2 CPU with an AM3 board or an AM3 board with DDR2 memory.