Sign in with
Your question

EVGA or MSI GTX 460?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2010 7:59:53 PM

I am down to these two, the SuperClocked EVGA GTX 460 or the MSI NGTX460 Hawk. I should mention that I'm not really into overclocking, but I really care about performance, which is better/faster?

More about : evga msi gtx 460

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 8:03:31 PM

There are about the same performance, but the MSI is better as it has a custom cooler on it and would run cooler and i would say quieter.

The EVGA is a referance cooler (Blower Fan) which means if going on my GTX470 Blower fan, can be rather loud at higher speeds.

Plus The MSIS looks alot better than the referance cards anyways.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 8:05:20 PM

The MSI card you're looking at spits the heat inside the case, whereas the EVGA has a reference cooler that spits it outside.

The MSI will have better cooling, and as such can overclock more, but it will heat up the ambient temperature in your case, which could be bad for other components if you don't have adequate airflow. ALSO, that cooler takes up a lot of space, almost 3 slots (for cooling purposes, it should have 3 slots of space), so SLi with that card will be nearly impossible.

The EVGA brand I personally trust more, but won't stay as cool as that MSI and won't overclock as well if you want it to. However, SLi with this one will be easy if you want to do that in the future.

Related resources
October 4, 2010 9:12:17 PM

I have EVGA GTX 460. Horrible cooling. hits over 60 degrees on full and will hardly go lower than 50* on idle. I'm definitely going to install an aftermarket cooler. Still despite the heating, it's an awesome card! xD

Like borisof007, i trust EVGA more - they haven't let me down xD.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 9:22:22 PM

The reference cards have brilliant cooling, just the cards are made to run hotter than "normal" and i mean "normal" as in you have a 6xxx or 8xxx or 9xxx series card get to 80oC on load then your at its limits, where as the 4xx cards are hitting 105oC as its limits.

Crazy heats, but suppose the manufactors know what they are doing, hense why they have designed the fans the way they have done.
a c 595 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 9:37:43 PM

The key to whichever one has the best performance is whichever card has the highest factory overclock. The Hawk is factory overclocked to 780mhz. The EVGA is factory overclocked to 763mhz. The Hawk will outperform the EVGA at stock settings.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 9:46:53 PM

" Horrible cooling. hits over 60 degrees on full and will hardly go lower than 50* on idle."

How is that horrible? That's pretty good considering other video cards can go up to 90 on stress.

October 4, 2010 10:31:15 PM

borisof007 said:
" Horrible cooling. hits over 60 degrees on full and will hardly go lower than 50* on idle."

How is that horrible? That's pretty good considering other video cards can go up to 90 on stress.

I guess i just got used to temps under 40 :p . Highest I've ever had a card go was 70 degrees on load. But that was an 8xxx series card.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 10:57:14 PM

Your cards temps are excellent, don't worry about those :) 
a c 595 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 11:37:57 PM

reccy said:
The reference cards have brilliant cooling, just the cards are made to run hotter than "normal" and i mean "normal" as in you have a 6xxx or 8xxx or 9xxx series card get to 80oC on load then your at its limits, where as the 4xx cards are hitting 105oC as its limits.

Crazy heats, but suppose the manufactors know what they are doing, hense why they have designed the fans the way they have done.

I think that is a good point. I also wonder why there is so much fuss about temperature, which is basically a number on a software gauge. If you are not overheating, not getting fan noise that is too loud, and not sticking your face in the exhaust, what's the problem? It's just a number, right?
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 11:47:11 PM

Worrying about ambient temperature is like worrying about dust collecting inside your case: It doesn't matter as long as you know how to take care of your system.
October 5, 2010 2:26:33 PM

I've read all of your replies, thanks for the help. I plan on getting a Rampage 3 Extreme next year, and SLI the 460's. If the MSI is too fat for SLI then I'll definitely buy the EVGA. Also, I have the cover open for my case(front one, where all the things go in) so I don't think that temperature may be a problem(reference vs normal coolers).
!