HELP!!! RECOVERING IMPORTANT DATA

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 11:16:38 AM

Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
lost laptop???

My last one was stolen and I didn't back-up any data (not disciplined
enough) and lost very important information. Now I am having to start
again, and not particularly keen on this happening again.

many thanks!

Sam
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 3:10:51 PM

shemuel wrote:

> Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
> lost laptop???
>
> My last one was stolen and I didn't back-up any data (not disciplined
> enough) and lost very important information. Now I am having to start
> again, and not particularly keen on this happening again.

It's not clear what you're asking about. If you want to somehow magically
recover the data from the missing machine it's too late. If you're looking
to prevent something similar happening in the future then get an external
drive and every day copy your data to that. If you can remember to plug in
the drive then the rest can be automated. Symantec LiveState Recovery will
record changes every time particular events occur such as logging in. If
you have another machine you could also use SyncBack or Novell iFolder to
keep your data synchronized between the two machines.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> writes:
> > Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
> > lost laptop???
> >
> > My last one was stolen and I didn't back-up any data (not disciplined
> > enough) and lost very important information. Now I am having to start
> > again, and not particularly keen on this happening again.
>
> It's not clear what you're asking about. If you want to somehow magically
> recover the data from the missing machine it's too late. If you're looking
> to prevent something similar happening in the future then get an external
> drive and every day copy your data to that. If you

Yes, I think that's the question, what's the best way to stop the same
thing happening again in the future.
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 3:10:53 PM

On 03 Feb 2005 09:55:43 -0800, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>Yes, I think that's the question, what's the best way to stop the same
>thing happening again in the future.

My laptop is configured to wake up in the middle of the night and
backs up to the server via WiFi. Set up once and forget it.

Don't have a server? U can get one of those stand-along Network
Storage Devices$. Your ISP also routinely give you 10MB of free
storage, and it that's not enough, there are outfits that will give
you more for $$.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2005 7:21:16 PM

shemuel wrote:
> Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
> lost laptop???
>
> My last one was stolen and I didn't back-up any data (not disciplined
> enough) and lost very important information. Now I am having to start
> again, and not particularly keen on this happening again.

I don't understand. Where do you hope to recover this data from? Certainly
not from the laptop that was stolen?

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 2:00:58 AM

"shemuel" <samuelbarona@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
>lost laptop???

Norton Ghost will make an image of the system drive onto an external
(or internal second in a bay) drive. If you lose your laptop again
just plug the backup drive into an identical (new) machine and restore
the image and you are back where you started.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 2:06:19 AM

shemuel <samuelbarona@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
> lost laptop???
>
> ... I didn't back-up any data ...
> ... and lost very important information.

You seem to already know the answer.

a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 2:06:20 AM

Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> writes:
> > ... I didn't back-up any data ...
> > ... and lost very important information.
>
> You seem to already know the answer.

Huh? You didn't seem to understand the question, which was about what
methods people here recommend for backing up the replacement laptop to
avoid similar misfortune in the future. That's a perfectly good
question that seems to have gotten lost due to the poor reading
comprehension skills of some of the followup posters.

Anyway, J. Clarke's suggestion of backing up to an external hard drive
is what I'm using right now. It's not ideal but nothing else is
either. I have no comment on his recommendations for what Windows (ick)
software to use since I never touch the stuff myself. :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 2:06:21 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> writes:
> > > ... I didn't back-up any data ...
> > > ... and lost very important information.
> >
> > You seem to already know the answer.
>
> Huh? You didn't seem to understand the question, which was about what
> methods people here recommend for backing up the replacement laptop to
> avoid similar misfortune in the future. That's a perfectly good
> question that seems to have gotten lost due to the poor reading
> comprehension skills of some of the followup posters.
>
> Anyway, J. Clarke's suggestion of backing up to an external hard drive
> is what I'm using right now. It's not ideal but nothing else is
> either. I have no comment on his recommendations for what Windows (ick)
> software to use since I never touch the stuff myself. :)

"Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
lost laptop???"

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, but not understanding what
the OP was asking had nothing to do with reading comprehension.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 2:06:22 AM

Notan <notan@ddress.com> writes:
> "Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
> lost laptop???"
>
> I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, but not understanding what
> the OP was asking had nothing to do with reading comprehension.

Applying reading comprehension means reading the next 2 sentences of
the OP's post, as well as the first sentence which you quoted. The
next sentences were:

"My last one was stolen and I didn't back-up any data (not
disciplined enough) and lost very important information. Now I am
having to start again, and not particularly keen on this happening
again."

That is, the OP is looking for a way to be able to recover his data
the next time his laptop gets stolen.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 2:06:23 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Notan <notan@ddress.com> writes:
> > "Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
> > lost laptop???"
> >
> > I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, but not understanding what
> > the OP was asking had nothing to do with reading comprehension.
>
> Applying reading comprehension means reading the next 2 sentences of
> the OP's post, as well as the first sentence which you quoted. The
> next sentences were:
>
> "My last one was stolen and I didn't back-up any data (not
> disciplined enough) and lost very important information. Now I am
> having to start again, and not particularly keen on this happening
> again."
>
> That is, the OP is looking for a way to be able to recover his data
> the next time his laptop gets stolen.

While I assume you're correct about his intentions, it's still just
speculation, as the OP hasn't confirmed anything, one way or the other.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 4:12:34 AM

Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> writes:
>> > ... I didn't back-up any data ...
>> > ... and lost very important information.
>>
>> You seem to already know the answer.
>
> Huh? You didn't seem to understand the question, which was about what
> methods people here recommend for backing up the replacement laptop to
> avoid similar misfortune in the future.

You seem to be reading more into the question than was provided.
The question was:

"Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
lost laptop???"

The OP knows the solution: backup. They say "I didn't back-up any data
(not disciplined enough)". That sentence should tell you that it's not
the lack of a backup device which is the problem.

So they know the problem, and they know the solution.

Given the information so far, the best "product" that could be advised
would be an automated reminder that says

HEY! BACK UP YOUR DATA RIGHT NOW
SO YOU DON'T LOSE IT LIKE BEFORE!

a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 4:12:35 AM

Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> writes:
> You seem to be reading more into the question than was provided.
> The question was:
>
> "Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
> lost laptop???"

No, you seem to be reading less into the question than was provided,
since you skipped the last sentence:

"Now I am having to start again, and not particularly keen on this
happening again."

The poster's English is not perfect, but it looks to me like the lost
laptop in the first sentence is a hypothetical future one, not the old
one that's already been lost. The OP wants to know how to avoid
repeating the previous painful experience of not being able to recover
the data after the laptop gets stolen.

> So they know the problem, and they know the solution.

No, the problem is what specific methods to use to back up the new
laptop. They're looking for more concrete, specific recommendations
than "back it up". They want to know what programs and hardware to
use, etc.

> Given the information so far, the best "product" that could be advised
> would be an automated reminder that says
>
> HEY! BACK UP YOUR DATA RIGHT NOW SO YOU DON'T LOSE IT LIKE BEFORE!

That's not useful.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 5:15:56 AM

Being a bit crazy, i decided to try a google search.

Apparently if (like you) you dont backup your data, then there are ways
of getting your laptop/data back. There are quite a few different
companies pushing this type of thing, most focus on recovery of the
laptop itself but some can get data from it after its been stolen.

try putting "stolen laptops" into google and you will find a few bits
of info. So a solution for those too lazy (or imcompetant) to back up
there data!!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 6:09:46 AM

Yes.

Hypnosis.

shemuel wrote:
> Can anyone advise of any products that can help me recover data from a
> lost laptop???
>
> My last one was stolen and I didn't back-up any data (not disciplined
> enough) and lost very important information. Now I am having to start
> again, and not particularly keen on this happening again.
>
> many thanks!
>
> Sam

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 10:40:48 AM

Thank you all you guys. Just to clarify, I did mean it for my text to
reflect the fact that I dont want this type of eventuality to recur.

I did the search as pointed out, and found a vendor who sell a product
that allows me to recover my data even after it has been stolen. thanks
anyways to all, and just in case you wish to have a look:

www.1stsearchuk.com

Crazy Dave wrote:
> Being a bit crazy, i decided to try a google search.
>
> Apparently if (like you) you dont backup your data, then there are
ways
> of getting your laptop/data back. There are quite a few different
> companies pushing this type of thing, most focus on recovery of the
> laptop itself but some can get data from it after its been stolen.
>
> try putting "stolen laptops" into google and you will find a few bits
> of info. So a solution for those too lazy (or imcompetant) to back up
> there data!!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 11:57:03 AM

shemuel wrote:

> Thank you all you guys. Just to clarify, I did mean it for my text to
> reflect the fact that I dont want this type of eventuality to recur.
>
> I did the search as pointed out, and found a vendor who sell a product
> that allows me to recover my data even after it has been stolen. thanks
> anyways to all, and just in case you wish to have a look:

As others have pointed out, backing up your data is the best way to go.

In addition, if you're at all worried about someone looking at your hard
drive's contents, should your system get lost or stolen, there are numerous
encryption programs that should serve your needs.

Good Luck!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 7:20:46 PM

shemuel wrote:
> Thank you all you guys. Just to clarify, I did mean it for my text to
> reflect the fact that I dont want this type of eventuality to recur.
>
> I did the search as pointed out, and found a vendor who sell a product
> that allows me to recover my data even after it has been stolen.
> thanks anyways to all, and just in case you wish to have a look:

None of these "solutions" work if you've correctly setup the passwords on
your laptop as they all require the laptop continuing to operate!

Once a laptop is out of your possession, you want it to be as useful as a
doorstop without the thief having to take extraordinary steps or spending
large sums of money to simply turn it on.

The only "secure" laptop is one that is PW protected, backed up regularly
and insured against loss.

Regards,

James
!