Installed a Core i7-870 - Getting High Temps Under Load!

G

I've been reading posts of people struggling with high i7 temps, and after putting together my new pc yesterday, it seems I'm also having temp issues. My idle temperatures are fine (please see the core temp screenshot below), but my temps under load seem to slowly spike to 90 within a minute or so of running prime 95. I figured the stock Intel HSF wasn't properly seated - bought some ArctiClean and AS5 and reinstalled. The idle temps dropped about 5 degrees, and the spike takes longer, but still manages to reach 87 without much trouble.

Here are the details of the build:

Asus p7p55d-e lx
Intel Core i7-870
Sapphire 4670
Rosewill 700W PSU
WD 500GB Blue
Rosewill Blackbone Case

Below is a screenshot of the Core Temp monitor. Real temp shows essentially the same readings, but PC Probe II says the processor is 5-10 degrees hotter. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. If the HSF is still not properly seated, I have no idea how to do it better. I used the same style HSF for a Core 2 Duo build a couple years ago and didn't have a single issue...so I don't think I'm doing it wrong. I know I could shell out a few extra bucks for an aftermarket fan and hope that seats correctly, but I'd really like to get it under control with the stock setup. Anyway, can anyone offer me any suggestions?

Solution
That load temperature is high but idle is fine, make sure that your heat sink is properly secured or maybe a aftermarket cooler would be the solution.
G

With what did you check the temps?

I used RealTemp, Core Temp and both produced the same temps. The bios temps are identical to the Asus PC Probe II temps, which are about 5-10 degrees higher.

Those 'high' temps in the Core Temp screenshot aren't really the highs...that's just where I stopped prime 95. It'll still hit 90 if I don't abort the prime 95 test. I haven't yet found a ceiling temperature - that's my problem.

G

Yeah, I guess the stock HSF wasn't making solid contact no matter how many times I reseated it. I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Heatsink and Fan, and after installing it my idle temps dropped to 29 C. I ran prime 95 for a minute or two to see if the temperature would spike, but it seemed to peak at only 59 C. Success! :D