kgoerbig

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
AMD 2.2 Gig Athlon Dual core
Gigabyte MB
4 Gig RAM

I had a power outage recently. Afterward, the PC would not power up. Thinking the PSU got zapped, I swapped it out, but when I turned it on I got no post, no beep code, or keyboard lights. I cleared the cmos, swapped with extra ram I had Etc. All the fans spin as well. Also, in two different cases have the same issue, Power will turn on with the power button, but will not turn off when the power button is held in.

So I ordered a new MB off newegg as well as a new PSU. When I got it today, I mounted the MB, CPU/heatsink, RAM, and PSU all installed. Turned it on, and same exact issue, this using a brand new MB and PSU! After letting the New MB run for a few minutes with all the fans running (including CPU fan of course), I shut it off, and removed the heatsink/fan from the cpu. It was the same temp as when I first installed it in the socket. Would this be a good sign that the power outage friend both MB/CPU?

kgoerbig

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Well, actually it was two boards that zapped in the unfortunate power event. I ordered two Biostar AL780 boards. The CPU's I have are a Semptron 2700+ and a Athlon 3000+ Dual Core. Trying both processors in the new boards exhibit the same behavior (no keyboard lights, no post, unable to power off the pc via power switch, either cpu doesn't generate heat on either Biostar AL780 I ordered. Odds of two bad boards...not too likely. I get the same behaviors with those CPUs when trying them on the old boards too

PSU I ordered is Logisys 480Watt. But I have another 400watt PSU that I tried with the new boards and exhibit the same behavior. I've tried 4 different 1gig DDR2 chips. I'm ordering new CPUS tonight as well. Would it be safe to try the new CPUs in the old boards (Gigabyte), or should I not chance it? This whole situation stinks, as I've never had such major components die, so I was always able to troubleshoot and fix most issues. Without spare CPUs that was kind of difficult. If I try the new CPUs on the old boards, and it works Newegg said they will RMA the boards with no re-stock fees. But I a leary about sticking the new CPUs in the old boards.

kgoerbig

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I am mistaken, sorry. Here is the equipment I used before the power issue.

GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2P AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard w/ a
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor

BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ w/ a
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor

kgoerbig

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I just let the Dual Core CPU run on the old GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2P AM2+ for 10min with the Stock heatsink/fan. No temp change at all. Same results on the Biostar Al780.