GTX 460

Hi im looking to buy a gtx 460 or 5770. it will probably be the gtx460 though.

I would like to know what cpu would be good for it in sli.

I know you'll probably say i7, but would the i5 650 or 660 b enough.

I would like to get a 1156 socket.

Tell me what you think
13 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. I think there will be a bottleneck with the i5 650, but not a huge amount though i dont think. If you could push towards the i5 750 then you would be fine and dandy.
  2. coder5555 said:
    Hi im looking to buy a gtx 460 or 5770. it will probably be the gtx460 though.

    I would like to know what cpu would be good for it in sli.

    I know you'll probably say i7, but would the i5 650 or 660 b enough.

    I would like to get a 1156 socket.

    Tell me what you think

    You're good to go, no problems whatsoever with the i5 650 or 660.Though for SLI, I'd probably go for the i5 quads.
  3. reccy said:
    I think there will be a bottleneck with the i5 650, but not a huge amount though i dont think. If you could push towards the i5 750 then you would be fine and dandy.


    Would it b fine on sli??
  4. Tamz_msc said:
    You're good to go, no problems whatsoever with the i5 650 or 660.

    Would it b good in sli
  5. and also what ram should i get ddr3 1333 or ddr3 1600
    it would b 4gb of 2x2
  6. The i5 750 would be better for a sli setup of GTX460's, and the i5 650/660 would be a bottleneck i think in the sli's, again, by how much is debatable due to the game.

    Either, the performance difference between 1333 and 1600 is slight. Even the difference between 1333 and 1810 (Overclocked my ram to match the CPU BCLK) is very slight if at all (not noticable)
  7. reccy said:
    The i5 750 would be better for a sli setup of GTX460's, and the i5 650/660 would be a bottleneck i think in the sli's, again, by how much is debatable due to the game.

    Either, the performance difference between 1333 and 1600 is slight. Even the difference between 1333 and 1810 (Overclocked my ram to match the CPU BCLK) is very slight if at all (not noticable)

    OK thank you, I think i will go for the i5 750
  8. One thing I don't understand is how you would consider choosing between a 5770 or 460? There's a huge difference with the 5770 not even touching the performance of the 460. Seems to me the better decision would be between the 5830 and the 460.
  9. nativeson8803 said:
    One thing I don't understand is how you would consider choosing between a 5770 or 460? There's a huge difference with the 5770 not even touching the performance of the 460. Seems to me the better decision would be between the 5830 and the 460.

    I can get a 5770 for R1700
    or a gtx 460 for R2100
    The gtx 460 will need a new psu and cpu, while the 5770 wont need any extra parts

    I rate the 5770

    I wana play 1980 X 1080 in fps games like cysis,cod4 5 6, moh, and play directx 11 games
  10. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Graphics & Displays by Mousemonkey
  11. thanks for all the comments
  12. Don't waste the money on an i5 6xx. Get an i3 and overclock the heck out of it. The only difference between the two is the turbo mode, but if you are into overclocking you'll just turn that off anyway. On the other hand, if you have the cash or don't overclock go for the i5 750 or 760, they are amazing gaming chips.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics