Closed

Fps drops with gtx 460

Hi, I recently replaced my hd 4850 512mb with a gtx460 768mb (did a full driversweep) well I get better fps but when things get really intense in for example cod4 and mass effect2 the fps drops down to like 20-25 in mass effect and 18-20 in cod4, most other games run fine but even if I get alot more fps it feels a little jerky.

My other components are quite old and I belive that thats could be the problem.

System spec
Cpu: intel e5200 @ 2.5 ghz
ram: 4gb ddr2 800mhz
motherboard: msi p6ngm-fd
psu: corsair 550w
and ofc the gtx460

I´m using the 258. 96 drivers
I have tried the new beta drivers but didnt notice any improvment

Ps. srry for my bad english ;D
9 answers Last reply
More about drops
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums
    What resolution do you play at ? What settings are you using for those games(Is AA/AF enabled?) also what's your average FPS ?
  2. The E5200 leaps out as being the first of the limiting factors, 2MB cache (1MB per core) and an 800mhz FSB make that a slow old pony regardless of clock speed.
  3. Maziar said:
    Hello and welcome to the forums
    What resolution do you play at ? What settings are you using for those games(Is AA/AF enabled?) also what's your average FPS ?

I play at 1680x1050, in cod I have an average of 60 - 90, and in mass effect its like 50 - 60 all settings are at max exept that i dont have AA or AF enabled in any of the games.
  4. Mousemonkey said:
    The E5200 leaps out as being the first of the limiting factors, 2MB cache (1MB per core) and an 800mhz FSB make that a slow old pony regardless of clock speed.

Yeah, So would a new cpu do the trick? I was actully planning to buy a new motherboard,cpu and ram as my motherboard does not support ram in dualchannel mode
  5. A good CPU should do the trick, so if you are planning on replacing it then just make sure you get something that's worthwhile as opposed to getting a low end CPU with a view to OC'ing it in an attempt to achieving big boy performance.
  6. Mousemonkey said:
    A good CPU should do the trick, so if you are planning on replacing it then just make sure you get something that's worthwhile as opposed to getting a low end CPU with a view to OC'ing it in an attempt to achieving big boy performance.

well the thing is that I am a musican/studing so I don have that much of an income but I was looking at two upgrading packgages
    first one for aprox 2000 skr about 200 bucks alittle less http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=604570

second one aprox 350 bucks http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=495976

If I buy the first one I can get at least 4gb ram more but its a amd x3 445 and thats like low/midrange I think but maby its enough?

The second one has an i5 and quad so its alot better? but would the x3 be enough? I Just want to be able to play me2 with good performance and Mafia 2 and bfbc2 at like medium but whitout monster fps drops
  7. I would personally look for an Intel set up that allowed for SLi and Crossfire so as to be able to keep future upgrade options open, something that AMD don't seem to want to offer at the moment.
  8. yeah, but the to setups I posted is the only ones I can afford right now preferly the cheapest as I am on a tight budget, So will the amd x3 be enogh for som medium gaming?
  9. Here is a comparison using the 450 x3 not the 455 x3 but it might give you a better idea as to whether you think it'll be worth it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/189?vs=191
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia FPS Graphics