Sign in with
Your question

Best non-SLI / CF option for World of Warcraft:

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2010 1:58:35 AM

My post was originally looking at whether to go with SLI or a more powerful single card, but some reading I've concluded that a single high end card is the way to go for my particular system. So, I'm going to edit this post to ask what GPU would be best for a game such as WoW played on the highest settings.

Here is what I have for a system:

- i7 920 @ 2.67
- 12g of ddr3
- Windows 7 64 bit
- 750 PSupply

My current card is not bad ( GTX 260 ), but I was looking at upgrading it to:

- HD 5970
- GTX 295
- GTX 480

Curious what people's thoughts are about those? I know it's possible overkill for a game such as WoW, but at the same time I know my card is straining with most settings run on high and I play too much not to have a strong card that I don't need to worry about.

Any advice appreciated and cheers!

Phil
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 2:37:54 AM

For you going with Sli makes sense and is the cheapest. Getting a GTX 295 isn't the best way for you to go. Having owned to dual gpu cards excluding a third that it is best to avoid them when possible due to the complications with the pci-e switch and performance scaling.
October 5, 2010 2:50:17 AM

Hmmmmmm ...

My only concern is that from a lot of the reading I've been doing - Wow apparently isn't very SLI friendly. I'm not technically minded enough to tell you why, but I've come across that quite a bit in my travels.
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 2:59:36 AM

I for a month played Wow my on 9800gt sli setup and I am a heavy wow addict. Got 6 accounts and lot of hours logged. The only problem with sli and wow is cpu lag but if you overclocked to 3ghz even then you will not have any problems with lag unless you are multy boxing with more than 4 accounts at once. If you are going to burn the money by getting a GTX 295 then forget it and try to land your self a decent 5850 but the turn off is drivers but it has been long enough for quality to improve so go for it.
October 5, 2010 3:52:32 AM

I have not play wow in a few months, but if i remember right my 5770 could max that game @ 1440x900. How big of a monitor you play it on?
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 5, 2010 3:59:59 AM

i would not be surprised if the new WoW expansion (with DX11) plays better on the Nvidia GTX400 line.

the GTX 470 is a nice upgrade from the GTX 260
October 5, 2010 4:22:45 AM

I would go for a gtx470 or see how the HD6000 cards perform when they are released on the 18th.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 5, 2010 5:01:59 AM

Overclocking an HD5850 or GTX 470 is your best choice for the money right now but holding off (supposedly) a few weeks for the HD6750/70 is probably a good idea.
October 15, 2010 8:25:27 PM

I have the same problem with my SLI 9800GT.

But when I make my 2nd card PhyX I have no problems.

But It still said SLI when in PhyX (i think I cant remember)
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 9:21:35 PM

Phil,

I'd go for a single GPU. It's usually best anyhow, and leaves upgrades to SLI later on if you need it.

The GTX 470 would perform like a GTX 260 SLI. The GTX 480 would be better obviously. But both of those cards need sufficient case cooling as they run fairly warm.

The ATI 5850 would also be a good idea, and runs cooler / more efficient. It's cheaper, though is a little bit slower than the GTX 470.

All that said, if the 6000 series is only a couple weeks away, I'd wait to see how they test out. :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 9:32:01 PM

If im honest, i dont get much of a FPS increase from 1x GTX470 to the SLI. (about 25-30FPS)

My grand dad has the GTX465 and that seems to pretty a little less then mind does now.. again around the 30-40FPS mark lower.
Also, 1 thing i will say, is i get a little frame lag here and there in SLI mode, but nothing with 1 470 working.. Not sure why this is as i dont play WOW intensively anymore so didnt really get too worked up about it.

I always thought WOW was more CPU based rather than GPU?
October 15, 2010 10:36:03 PM

reccy said:
If im honest, i dont get much of a FPS increase from 1x GTX470 to the SLI. (about 25-30FPS)

My grand dad has the GTX465 and that seems to pretty a little less then mind does now.. again around the 30-40FPS mark lower.
Also, 1 thing i will say, is i get a little frame lag here and there in SLI mode, but nothing with 1 470 working.. Not sure why this is as i dont play WOW intensively anymore so didnt really get too worked up about it.

I always thought WOW was more CPU based rather than GPU?

Well I am using AMD 965BE Quad and from experience it more about the internet speed since it is MMO, plus it don't take that much GPU to play it.

a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 11:51:05 PM

Expansions to WoW have altered the graphics of the game. Primarily through Shadows and such. So it's a bit more GPU intensive than it was a couple years ago. :) 

reccy,

What resolution do you play at? Considering the GTX 470 plays almost anything @ 1920x1080 with high settings very well, an SLI may not show much gain anyhow. Especially if V-Sync is used.
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 2:41:19 AM

It has also gotten somewhat more needy when comes to cpu and pagefile. One account is one thing but logging more than one or two the system (raiding) can take a big performance hit. It works with sli except it can slow things down if the cpu is already lagging so single card is the way to go with games that are heavy cpu limited. Crossfire I have yet to see but if I were to get a second 3870 then I can test on my own if the same is true.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 16, 2010 2:54:47 AM

I used to play WoW a couple months ago. A couple things to note:
1) WoW does use CF/SLI with significant performance boosts, if your CPU is powerful enough (you might need to OC a bit, WoW like Ghz, not more than 2 cores).
2) WoW performance is better with Nvidia cards. Not sure why, it just favor Nvidia.
3) A lot of people play WoW in windowed mode, SLI and CF do not work in windowed mode.

Given #3, I would not advise a 295 or 5970. These are SLI/CF cards, even if they are on one card. If you always play in fullscreen, then you may like the 5970 as it does have DX11, which the next expansion is supposed to support.

For a single card, I too would recommend a 470 based on my list.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 9:01:40 AM

jerreece said:
Expansions to WoW have altered the graphics of the game. Primarily through Shadows and such. So it's a bit more GPU intensive than it was a couple years ago. :) 

reccy,

What resolution do you play at? Considering the GTX 470 plays almost anything @ 1920x1080 with high settings very well, an SLI may not show much gain anyhow. Especially if V-Sync is used.

1080p (1920x1080)

Dont get me wrong, everything was turned up pretty much as high as they will go and the FPS was awesome, i just didnt noticed a huge increase when going from a single GTX470 to SLI mode. Even in SLI mode i got Graphic lag (FPS would drop significantly) thought it was my internet connection but doesnt happen in any other game, or in single mode.

When i say not a huge increase in FPS, for example in Borderlands, Just Cause 2, Metro 2033 etc.. you could instantly tell the FPS was smoother and alot higher than the single mode., in WOW it felt exactly the same FPS..

Btw V-Sync was off, i always leave this off, as i didnt understand what it was at the time.. :lol: 

!