Sign in with
Your question

First build: completely stuck! Please help....

Last response: in Motherboards
October 28, 2011 10:56:29 PM

Hello,

Well this is my first build. I have put everything together without smashing anything.

But when I power on, the "boot device led" comes on (red) and stays on. Now this doesn't stop it loading into the ez bios screen. Although it does say "no hdd detected" (but I read elsewhere it will sometimes just do this - i haven't got every sata port filled so it's just reporting that some aren't filled?)

But I have no idea why the boot device led is constantly on.

Regardless of this I have absolutely no idea what to do next. Should I be working my through the bios settings etc? Or should I try install windows first?

How will the computer know whether to install it on my ssd or my hdd?

Could the problem be how i linked my drives to the psu? The cable from psu to the drives had several connectors on the one cable. I just used the end one to connect to the drives but this left some connectors hanging loose - is this bad?

~confused~

Build:
Fractal Designs R3 Define case
asus p8p67 pro rev3.0
Seasonic 760w psu gold
i5 2500k
thermalright mux120 cpu cooler
nvidia 570 gpu
Adata 120gb SSD
Western Digital Caviar Green 1tb HDD
dvd/cd rw
card reader

Two other minor questions:
-on starting the rear exhaust case fan and cpu fan both start (both plugged directly into case)
BUT the other three fans (1 stock, 2 that I installed) don't. They are controlled by the stock fan controller which is set to medium.

-my monitor works fine via the dvi cable. But if i try it via hdmi i get no picture and a message "no dvi signal"

help!
xfi xtreme audio soundcard

More about : build completely stuck

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 11:04:16 PM

Install just one of the hardrives and the screen should go past the post. Both drives may be detected as a boot device. Only one at a time is permitted, so if the ssd is your boot device, install it alone and then windows should load. Then you can install the unformatted regular sata drive while your system is running by plugging in the power supply leads, and windows will detect it and ask you if you want to format the new device if you haven't already. And then you can clone the windows installation from the ssd to the western digital if you have their software cd or download the software for free off western digital's website. This will save you some time. For dvi, you may have to change a setting in the bios, but most likely, installing the windows driver will permit you to use it. Normally, the default bios setting permits either vga or dvi cables to be used. Mine was set to "hdmi" which detects either one, but only one at a time is permitted on some boards. Leftover hanging cables from the power supply are normal. You can tie some of them down in a bundle and tuck them in unused areas around the front of the case.
October 28, 2011 11:17:41 PM

So literally just unplug the connectors from the back of the hdd? And then power on with it like that?

Should I be going into the BIOS first or start straight off with windows cd in optical drive and instal that first?
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 11:24:06 PM

Just unplug the western digital while the system is turned off, leaving the ssd connected. Just place the windows dvd in as the system is posting. "Press any key" to use the dvd will appear. Windows will detect the ssd and start loading. You load the ssd as it takes about half the time to install as a regular drive due to the speed increase. Then you can install as much software as you like before you clone the installation to the western digital. I use maxblast 5, but it only works with maxtor and seagate drives.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 28, 2011 11:29:26 PM

Windows take a few minutes to inspect your system components before you get to the install screen. Be patient and wait. Once it starts loading the device drivers, it only takes about 15 minutes to finish loading the basic drivers. The security updates also take 15-20 minutes to load.
October 29, 2011 1:10:03 AM

hang on a sec - why do i want to clone everything to the hdd? is this just as a backup? i was imagining having different things stored on each eg operating system n core programs on ssd; movies, music etc on hdd
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 29, 2011 2:05:12 AM

You may not have to clone it, but the basic windows 7 files only take up 10-15 gb of space. I've had my ssd's fail three times and am waiting for another replacement, so having a regular sata drive loaded with windows makes sense. You have plenty of space.
!