Smartmedia that won't format

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 18, 2005 5:46:20 AM

The USB cardreader recognizes the card when it is put in but won't access or
format it. Is it possible that the card is not electrically damaged but has
lost it's low level format or partitioning? Is there a utility that may
recover it?

Thanks,
Chris

More about : smartmedia format

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:46:21 AM

> The USB cardreader recognizes the card when it is put in but won't access
or
> format it. Is it possible that the card is not electrically damaged but
has
> lost it's low level format or partitioning? Is there a utility that may
> recover it?

If you have a Linux machine, do:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd{x} bs=8k

where sd{x} is the device for your card reader - sda, sdb, etc.. I've used
that on CF cards that Windows couldn't do a thing with, and then they worked
just fine - both Windows and the camera were able to format them.

steve
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:46:21 AM

"Chris" <cjohnson1379nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> The USB cardreader recognizes the card when it is put in but won't access
> or format it. Is it possible that the card is not electrically damaged but
> has lost it's low level format or partitioning? Is there a utility that
> may recover it?

Smart media cards are a pain the arse! I have thrown five of them in the
garbage that Windows recognized but my Olympus camera would not (they used
to work?). I took them to a local store (Ritz) and their cameras could not
format them either. Some technologies deserve an early death.

Searching the web yielded that those cards probably could have been
recovered with the right hardware and software. For me, life is too short
to deal with nonsense like smart media cards.
January 18, 2005 5:57:42 AM

Some card readers had a SMPREP.EXE utility to fix the header to make the
card usable again. You may want to check the CD that may have been included
with your reader.
John

"Chris" <cjohnson1379nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> The USB cardreader recognizes the card when it is put in but won't access
> or format it. Is it possible that the card is not electrically damaged but
> has lost it's low level format or partitioning? Is there a utility that
> may recover it?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

January 18, 2005 8:56:59 AM

"JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
> Some card readers had a SMPREP.EXE utility to fix the header to make the
> card usable again. You may want to check the CD that may have been
> included with your reader.
> John
>
> "Chris" <cjohnson1379nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> The USB cardreader recognizes the card when it is put in but won't access
>> or format it. Is it possible that the card is not electrically damaged
>> but has lost it's low level format or partitioning? Is there a utility
>> that may recover it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris

Through some reading and searching, I gathered that this won't work in
Windows XP and only works with some readers. Thanks anyway.

Chris
January 18, 2005 1:00:39 PM

In almost five years of SM with several Oly cameras I only lost one
card. There are simple rules. Keep the contacts clean on the card and in
the camera. Now and then Olys are a bit quirky with the cards, but
generally those problems can be fixed pretty easily.

Incidentally, six weeks into a Sandisk CF 256m card it died. Replaced
quickly enough, but died it did.

Charles Schuler wrote:
> "Chris" <cjohnson1379nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>The USB cardreader recognizes the card when it is put in but won't access
>>or format it. Is it possible that the card is not electrically damaged but
>>has lost it's low level format or partitioning? Is there a utility that
>>may recover it?
>

> Smart media cards are a pain the arse! I have thrown five of them in the
> garbage that Windows recognized but my Olympus camera would not (they used
> to work?). I took them to a local store (Ritz) and their cameras could not
> format them either. Some technologies deserve an early death.
>
> Searching the web yielded that those cards probably could have been
> recovered with the right hardware and software. For me, life is too short
> to deal with nonsense like smart media cards.

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:54:04 PM

What if you don't have a linux box?

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
> > The USB cardreader recognizes the card when it is put in but won't
access
> or
> > format it. Is it possible that the card is not electrically damaged but
> has
> > lost it's low level format or partitioning? Is there a utility that may
> > recover it?
>
> If you have a Linux machine, do:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd{x} bs=8k
>
> where sd{x} is the device for your card reader - sda, sdb, etc.. I've
used
> that on CF cards that Windows couldn't do a thing with, and then they
worked
> just fine - both Windows and the camera were able to format them.
>
> steve

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:00:19 AM

> What if you don't have a linux box?

If you have any Unix or Unix-like machine, it'll have the DD command. If
you don't, there are plenty of "live-cd" distributions of Linux where you
can boot into a full Linux OS right from the CD - without ever installing
anything to your computer. Knoppix is the most common one, but there are
plenty of others as well. Since you'll only need USB support and the dd
command (which will be on every one of them), one of the smaller ones should
work fine.

steve
!