Sign in with
Your question

New builds looking for critique

Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2010 7:31:37 AM

Hey everyone!

Making a new post in regards to more computer building. My last build that was critiqued here turned out exceptionally well. Thanks for everyone’s help. :)  As this isn’t for me – and I don’t want to sound rude – I didn’t spend weeks researching what is top of the line here. So here are the specifications and what each person is willing to spend:

Friend 1:
Budget Range: $900-1200 (USD)
Purchase Date: December to early January
His main intentions with his rig will be for 3D applications (such as Maya) as he is going into 3D Animation within the next year. He wants to be a rigger; weird choice in my opinion! He also wants to be able to run newly released games. I was thinking something along the lines of this for him:

*** EDITED:

Hard Drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 69.99
Video Card - EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 259.99
CPU - Intel Core i7-950 BX80601950: $279.99
MOBO - ASUS P6X58D-E: $209.99
RAM - G.SKILL 6GB F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ $81.99
PSU - Antec TruePower New TP-750 $79.99
Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP 89.98
DVD Burner - Samsung SH-S223L DVD burner 19.99

Total Cost: 1091.91
Note: I have a spare heatsink so I can give him that one just in case his other one gives out in a few months.
Still wondering if he'll consider an AMD build. Besides that does it look fine?

So this is just a bit above his budget range and with shipping it will be a bit higher. Anything to suggest instead that would be good for him? The CPU I think is a bit to powerful for the budget range and the i7-930 is not listed on .com without a combo price which ends up more. Also, would a Gigabyte X58 UD3R be better for the MOBO? Thoughts?

Friend 2:
Budget Range: $2500-3000 (CAD)
Purchase Date: Whenever; the sooner the better
This friend is going into film production and will most likely need a large amount of hard drive space. He really doesn’t want to upgrade for a long time and he’s willing to spend a large amount. I asked and he was fine with something like $3,000. Long as he doesn’t have to upgrade in the near future really. Same as the other friend, he wants to be able to run “anything”. I followed a thread here and I was thinking of Eloric’s build with more space perhaps like:

Hard Drive – 2 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3
Video Card – 2 X GTX 480s (Wait for price drop) or wait for the HD 6950 and 6970.
CPU - Intel Core i7-950?
MOBO - ???
RAM - G.SKILL PI Series 6GB X 2
PSU - Corsair 1000W HX
Heatsink - : CoolerMaster Hyper 212 plus
Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP
DVD Burner – Some $20 one

Wasn’t too sure on a few parts and I haven’t checked too many benchmarks or reviews lately. Friend 1 is coming up to Canada this Christmas break so I’ll have time to help him build it but yea, his price is based on USD and he found those listings on newegg.com. So if there are any changes or recommendations to make please give me a post back. Thanks again guys,

Keithley

Edit: So a few questions I have in regards to these builds are:

What would friend two use for a top of the line MOBO and CPU? He is also buying his parts in Canada.

Are all the parts functional and will they fit correctly in each case? It looks like it but I'm not too sure.

More about : builds critique

Related resources
November 28, 2010 2:32:12 PM

right now im using a phenom x6 and runs like a beast if your willing to switch to amd you might wanna give it a try
m
l
November 29, 2010 12:41:23 AM

Updated the list and have a few questions posted at the bottom. Thanks for all the help so far folks! :) 
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2010 1:07:19 AM

Well asside from it all, waiting for the 69xx like the above said is smart. Another thing, SB is coming out soon with double the performance of the current i7's so I suggest with those kinds of budgets to wait until those come out. Oh, and at that high end budget, if your looking at SLI 480/580 or CF 69xx/58xx/59xx you should be looking at water cooling, those get really hot really fast and really loud during gaming. Soo just a suggestion.
m
l
November 29, 2010 1:53:02 AM

aznshinobi said:
Well asside from it all, waiting for the 69xx like the above said is smart. Another thing, SB is coming out soon with double the performance of the current i7's so I suggest with those kinds of budgets to wait until those come out. Oh, and at that high end budget, if your looking at SLI 480/580 or CF 69xx/58xx/59xx you should be looking at water cooling, those get really hot really fast and really loud during gaming. Soo just a suggestion.

What might the SB be? I'm not too good with abbreviations :(  What all do you require for liquid cooling? I've never attempted to install one on a rig so this would be completely new to me. I'm guessing Newegg.ca sells the parts but what all is required?
m
l
November 29, 2010 1:57:33 AM

Ummm... It isn't that simple, you should take at least 1-4 months to fully understand what to do, start a thread on Cooling! Umm Newegg doesn't really offer any/alot of water cooling options so that wouldn't be the place to shop. If you've heard of Cayman you've must have heard of SB =P SB is Sandy Bridge... I'm quite honestly suprised you haven't heard of it.

Performance of SB: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre...

Water cooling start: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259900-29-watercoolin...

Water cooling isn't for everyone, if you don't want to take the risk don't do it. It's just a suggestion. If you can bear the noise then sure, if your friend wants to OC his high-end gpu, it's going to get really hot. Soo..
m
l
November 29, 2010 7:28:06 AM

@keithley Your Friend 2 just have to wait for Intel new CPU's and AMD new GPU's which r hopefully gona be released by Jan. I wont advice u on setting up a liquid cooling considering you havn't done anything remotely before.

Friend 2 will need a stronger CPU rather then GPU for his video editing software and a 12Gb ram with couple of SSD's. 1 for boot drive and the other for video files dat r being processed in editing software. He wont probably overclock the GPU and you can easily buy a gud heat sink package for the CPU if he tends to overclock it. I am talking from my own experience here as i also am in film making.
m
l
November 29, 2010 11:57:42 PM

^ Look into the revodrive.
m
l
December 1, 2010 3:45:30 AM

Thanks for all the help guys :)  I'll talk it over with them and see what they suggest and if they're comfortable with waiting awhile.
m
l
!