Sign in with
Your question
Closed

0x0000008E BSOD while gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2010 3:09:57 AM

I was recently playing Warcraft 3 and all the sudden my graphics went haywire. About an hour and a half into my game the screens graphics became very distorted and it seemed as if my graphics car had crashed. I shutdown my computer and on the reboot i got a BSOD STOP 0X0000008E. i went online and most places said it could be a registry error, so i used CCleaner to clean uop the registry and for the rest of the day everything seemed smooth. The next day out of nowhere i get nother STOP 0X0000008E BSOD but once i rebooted everything was fine again. Now it seems that about once a day randomly i will get this BSOD but nothing with my system seems wrong. And its only been happening ever since my GPU "crashed" after playing Warcraft 3. Also i have updated any drivers or installed new hardware.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

More about : 0x0000008e bsod gaming

a c 189 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 3:25:39 AM

BSOD is usually RAM-VRAM-Hard Drive issue...
How many stick of RAM did you use? Try boot with only 1 stick of RAM, try each of them, see which one that gives you BSOD.
Or you can try your graphic card in different system to make sure whether it's still working fine or not...
Score
October 5, 2010 9:13:04 AM

Im using 3 gigs (2x512)(2x2GB) and they seem to all be working fine.

The graphics card is pretty new and i would try it in another system but i dont have one. I dont think its a graphics issue though
Score
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 9:23:13 AM

Seems? Already test each stick individually?
You can try in your friend's PC or someone's PC to check your graphic card...
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 10:27:58 AM

^^He already mentioned it.

@OP : Are you on Windows XP SP3?
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 11:53:55 AM

Run a memory test. For any BSOD, this should be the first thing you do, as memory errors can be the cause of most any STOP code. After that, the registry and drivers are the most likely culprits.
Score
October 5, 2010 9:52:20 PM

Do you think even though im still able to boot up my PC and run it normally it would still be the memory, cause ive been posting all these from the PC thats getting the STOP errors

I have a feeling it could be a virus messing with my registry maybe? ill try to do the memtest86 because each individual stick works when i checked it
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 7:52:50 AM

My old man got that EXACT error, we had to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

Tried memory, different drivers, setting the voltage in bios for the ram ratehr than AUTO. Tried everything, in the end, reformatted and Reinstalled Win 7 and not a problem since.

Never happened in Windows, only playing games, which we thought maybe GPU related, but explored all avenues, and come to the conculsion that just start from Stratch and this saved tiem and hassel
October 6, 2010 8:44:50 AM

AH that is exactly what i WANT to do because ive had nothing but trouble with this build,

Random things like when i boot up i choose to boot into recovery setup or my OS so i choose to boot into my OS

I bought Media center 2005, yet on my computer in PC Wizard and other info programs like that it states that im running professional... The only place it says im running media center is when i boot up

I am missing random DLL files that i need to run basic things like my Microsoft NET programs such as driver cleaner.

Right now im getting an error saying that WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.5xxxxx/mscorwks.dll is missing....

Im told i need to uninstall my current Microsoft NET version(whatever it is) and reinstall it, but im afraid because my computers running SP2 and WONT update to SP3 because its media center even though it says its PRO.....

Seriously i just need windows 7
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 12:09:22 PM

Peskoly said:
AH that is exactly what i WANT to do because ive had nothing but trouble with this build,

Random things like when i boot up i choose to boot into recovery setup or my OS so i choose to boot into my OS

I bought Media center 2005, yet on my computer in PC Wizard and other info programs like that it states that im running professional... The only place it says im running media center is when i boot up

I am missing random DLL files that i need to run basic things like my Microsoft NET programs such as driver cleaner.

Right now im getting an error saying that WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.5xxxxx/mscorwks.dll is missing....

Im told i need to uninstall my current Microsoft NET version(whatever it is) and reinstall it, but im afraid because my computers running SP2 and WONT update to SP3 because its media center even though it says its PRO.....

Seriously i just need windows 7

Sounds like bad RAM to me...considering how easy it is to test, that should always be the first thing done when diagnoising a BSOD.
Score
October 16, 2010 12:10:33 AM

Best answer selected by peskoly.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 12:45:07 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!