What was the real reason for the death of Smart Media?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 18, 2005 6:09:53 AM

I have heard many possible reasons, but never could understand them.
1) No capacity beyond 128 MB. This doesn't make sense as other smaller
formats go beyond 128MB.

2) Exposed conductors can get dirty or damaged. Other formats have exposed
contacts. I never had a problem with them on SM.

3) Thin flexible card can be damaged. I never had damaged a card this way. I
could stack many for compact storage.

John
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:09:54 AM

JohnR66 wrote:

> I have heard many possible reasons, but never could understand them.
> 1) No capacity beyond 128 MB. This doesn't make sense as other
> smaller formats go beyond 128MB.

May not have anything to do with physical size. Rather, a poor logical
design early on could result in a low limit on how much memory the
format is capable of addressing.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

"JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote ...

> I have heard many possible reasons, but never could understand them.
> 1) No capacity beyond 128 MB. This doesn't make sense as other smaller
> formats go beyond 128MB.
>
> 2) Exposed conductors can get dirty or damaged. Other formats have
> exposed contacts. I never had a problem with them on SM.
>
> 3) Thin flexible card can be damaged. I never had damaged a card this
> way. I could stack many for compact storage.

grab a seat over there == > x
next to the Beta Max, Laser Disk, vinyl and 8 tracks
I'll prolly still be alive when DVD looks the same way ;)

RIP Trash 80s

:) x
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:09:54 AM

Just my observation ... the reliability stinks! (Based on personal
experience with seven of those damned things, which of course is anecdotal
and not meaningful to the masses but nonetheless very real to me).
January 18, 2005 6:09:54 AM

JohnR66 wrote:

> 2) Exposed conductors can get dirty or damaged. Other formats have exposed
> contacts. I never had a problem with them on SM.

CF doesn't and this keeps it from being static damaged. Most people will
ignore "don't touch the contacts" warning.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

JohnR66 wrote:
> I have heard many possible reasons, but never could understand them.
> 1) No capacity beyond 128 MB. This doesn't make sense as other smaller
> formats go beyond 128MB.
>
> 2) Exposed conductors can get dirty or damaged. Other formats have exposed
> contacts. I never had a problem with them on SM.
>
> 3) Thin flexible card can be damaged. I never had damaged a card this way. I
> could stack many for compact storage.
>
> John

Mostly because it doesn't accomodate larger capacity. Second because it
isn't 'smart' at all, lacking its own controller chip, and lastly
because of the size, and flexible format, and rather less than robust
connectors. I took one look at the thickness (or lack of it), and
decided I wanted nothing to do with the format.
Even the time SC and xD formats are thicker.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:09:53 GMT, JohnR66 <nospam@att.net> wrote:
> I have heard many possible reasons, but never could understand them.
> 1) No capacity beyond 128 MB. This doesn't make sense as other smaller
> formats go beyond 128MB.

Most likely because Smart Media is NOT very smart. The logic is not built
into the card, and as sizes grew, the format of future sizes was
undetermined. I do not know what size my Olympus camera originally
supported, but when I bought 32 MB SM, it would not work until I sent the
camera into Olympus for modification. So if somebody came out with larger
Smart Media, all equipment that wanted to use it would need modified logic
(firmware upgrade).

Other media like CF and similar smaller dimension media has built-in logic
to operate like a mini IDE hard drive. So no modifications are needed to
access them as memory sizes increase beyond what is available or known
today.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:49:20 AM

I worked at an event last year using Fuji S2 pro's and we used about 80-100
SM cards, we had problems regularly and I personally had five or six fail
completely.

"JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
> I have heard many possible reasons, but never could understand them.
> 1) No capacity beyond 128 MB. This doesn't make sense as other smaller
> formats go beyond 128MB.
>
> 2) Exposed conductors can get dirty or damaged. Other formats have exposed
> contacts. I never had a problem with them on SM.
>
> 3) Thin flexible card can be damaged. I never had damaged a card this way.
> I could stack many for compact storage.
>
> John

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:42:35 PM

What's this? Has Smart Media died and, if so, in what sense? It's the only
memory format my camera accepts. Should I be buying up stocks now in case
they vanish from the shelves?

Keith
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:42:36 PM

"Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> wrote in message
> What's this? Has Smart Media died and, if so, in what sense? It's the
only
> memory format my camera accepts. Should I be buying up stocks now in case
> they vanish from the shelves?
>
> Keith

It is dead in the sense that it has been made obsolete. Since mid 2003, no
new camera designs have used SM, It is also no longer stocked in the stores
that I've seen.
bg
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:42:36 PM

"Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> writes:

> What's this? Has Smart Media died and, if so, in what sense? It's the only
> memory format my camera accepts. Should I be buying up stocks now in case
> they vanish from the shelves?

Yes. No new camera using SM has been produced in the last two years. In the
Olympus world, I believe the C-4000Z was the last SM camera, and since that
camera was picked up by Costco and other bargin places, it had a longer
lifetime, but the fact remains it is dead. On their point & shoot and prosumer
cameras, Olympus now uses xD (ie, lets remake smartmedia in a completely
different form factor), however I was surprised that their consumer DSLR (E300)
does not take both xD and CF, taking only CF.

Yes you should be stocking up, as I have noticed SM is disappearing. The last
time I checked, I no longer saw it in Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. In addition, I
noticed the internet retailer newegg.com no longer carries it. I have 3
Olympus cameras that use SM, and I have been stocking up when I see it at $25
for a 128M card.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Keith Sheppard wrote:
> What's this? Has Smart Media died and, if so, in what sense? It's the only
> memory format my camera accepts. Should I be buying up stocks now in case
> they vanish from the shelves?
>
> Keith

I suspect they will be around long after you have figured out that your
camera is hopelessly obsolete, and ancient, and bought a new one. So
now, try to find a new one that uses Smartmedia...
Does that tell you anything?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 18, 2005 2:42:37 PM

In article <m3llaqq32x.fsf@glinda.the-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
meissners.org says...
> "Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> writes:
>
> > What's this? Has Smart Media died and, if so, in what sense? It's the only
> > memory format my camera accepts. Should I be buying up stocks now in case
> > they vanish from the shelves?
>
> Yes. No new camera using SM has been produced in the last two years. In the
> Olympus world, I believe the C-4000Z was the last SM camera, and since that
> camera was picked up by Costco and other bargin places, it had a longer
> lifetime, but the fact remains it is dead. On their point & shoot and prosumer
> cameras, Olympus now uses xD (ie, lets remake smartmedia in a completely
> different form factor), however I was surprised that their consumer DSLR (E300)
> does not take both xD and CF, taking only CF.
>
> Yes you should be stocking up, as I have noticed SM is disappearing. The last
> time I checked, I no longer saw it in Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. In addition, I
> noticed the internet retailer newegg.com no longer carries it. I have 3
> Olympus cameras that use SM, and I have been stocking up when I see it at $25
> for a 128M card.

Within 30 miles of my home, the only place that has ANY Smartmedia cards is
the local Radio Shack, and they say they are not getting any more.

(within 30 miles of my house there are more than 50 stores that sell digital
cameras and memory cards Hells Bells, there are 6 stores in just ONE of the
Malls in my area).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

>>1) No capacity beyond 128 MB. This doesn't make sense as other smaller
>>formats go beyond 128MB.
>>
>>2) Exposed conductors can get dirty or damaged. Other formats have exposed
>>contacts. I never had a problem with them on SM.
>>
>>3) Thin flexible card can be damaged. I never had damaged a card this way.
>>could stack many for compact storage.

1) has never worried me. For holiday snaps I tend not to use highest
definition/quality modes and can easily get a full 2 weeks holiday onto a
single card. In normal daily use, I rarely go beyond 20-30 photos before
offloading to my laptop.

2) and 3) aren't a problem if you never take the card out of the camera
(which I don't). It only takes a moment to download by plugging a cable
into the camera so I've never seen the point of investing in a card reader.
From day 1, I looked at the rather flimsy card and decided not to stress it
too much by unnecessary removal and insertion.

Keith
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:38:47 PM

In article <Az3Hd.8210$1t4.6355@fe07.lga>, Ron Hunter says...

> Mostly because it doesn't accomodate larger capacity. Second because it
> isn't 'smart' at all, lacking its own controller chip, and lastly
> because of the size, and flexible format, and rather less than robust
> connectors. I took one look at the thickness (or lack of it), and
> decided I wanted nothing to do with the format.
> Even the time SC and xD formats are thicker.

It was a marketing decision in my opinion, as they could have changed
again the architecture of Smartmedia cards to allow larger capacities.
Instead Fuji and Olympus decided that they wanted a smaller format - the
xD cards. xD cards also have no controller chip and exposed contacts,
and despite the small size can go up to 8GB.
--

Alfred Molon
January 18, 2005 10:38:18 PM

Size. Never had any other problem.