GTX 460 SLI..... Crashing in DX11 only.... ?

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Well as the title says, I am getting CTD in some games with my 2X 460's in SLI.

The games that are the culprit (so far as I know) are BFBC2, Medal of Honor (Beta).

Now here is the thing, both of these games run native in DX11. I changed the config files to force DX10, and the CTD's continued. I then bumped it down to DX9, and viola! No crashes at all for either game in extended (hours) of gameplay.

This is clearly a driver/software issue, right ?

It didn't matter if my cards were at stock clocks, overclocked, auto fan or 100% fan (my temps are fine btw) The games will always crash in DX11 mode. Also, when it crashes my audio ALWAYS starts stuttering when it gets to my desktop, I have to reset my sound card in device manager to get it to stop. I dont know if that is a hint at what the issue can be...

What can the issue be !?

I have waited patiently for Nvidia drivers to help fix this DX11 problem, but a google search reveals that nobody else seems to be having this issue, or that it is not widespread. I am beginning to think it is just my system.

I really don't want to do a full reinstall of Win 7 to see if that fixes the issue, and I should point out that the previously mentioned games ran flawlessly on the 2X 5870's that I had a few months ago....in DX11 mode. This is clearly an Nvidia/ GTX 460 issue IMO, not an OS/Hardware issue.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me, any suggestions are welcomed.

Things I have tried:

Installed all drivers that run on GTX 460, including Beta drivers.
Re-installed drivers numerous times, using driver cleaner.
Updated to latest Physx drivers for my Physx card.
Set all clocks to stock speeds and turned fan speeds up to keep my Gpus frosty cold.

I beleive I tried disabling the Physx card, and SLI altogether, and to no avail.

I need some suggestions from all you Nvidia faithful ! Thank YOU!

Edit: Is there a way to log a CTD ? How can I tell what is failing when it crashes ?

Also, when it crashes my audio ALWAYS starts stuttering when it gets to my desktop, I have to reset my sound card in device manager to get it to stop. I dont know if that is a hint at what the issue can be...

This is normal for most sound cards. For whatever reason, when an app crashes, the audio device is unable to clean itself up, and typically repeats the last audio stream sent to it over and over until reset. [A easy test of this is to close DosBox while playing a DOS game via the "X" button].

As for your issue: One of the games cited is a BETA, and the other (BFBC2) isn't the most stable game in existence. Its also worth pointing out the same company worked on both games...

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Thanks for all the tips guys, yes I know both companies worked on the games I have mentioned....

I understand that it is a beta, but please remember the game worked fine with my ATI setup.

Dipankar: Will that long process work if I don't use onboard ? I use an Asus Xonar DX