Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on changing psu fan

Last response: in Components
February 24, 2011 9:38:41 AM

I have a loud 12cm fan in my psu and its the only noisy fan in my pc i have an arctic cooling fan on my cpu and gpu which are very quiet. I took my psu apart yesterday and cleaned all the dust out of it and noticed the fan is just a standard 12cm fan and wondered if i could use this one in its place http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin...
the connector on the psu board is a 2pin which doesnt fit but i was just going to power it from the 4pin psu connectors with a converter, would this be ok? and would the psu still function correctly without a fan connected to it?
February 24, 2011 10:48:26 AM

PSU fans are pretty standard so any 12cm should fit nicely.

If you route the fan cable nicely maybe together with the rest of the wires then you shouldn't have a problem connecting it the way you thought it.

It will work on full speed though unless you fiddle around with wire voltages etc so make sure its as silent as you want.

Most decent PSU built-in fans regulate the fan speed with a thermal sensor which won't work in your case obviously.
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2011 12:23:34 PM

I would just cut the two pin connector off the old fan and splice it onto the new fan the third wire is just to sense fan speed which is not necessary for the power supply. This way the power supply can maintain control of the fan speed and you will not have any problems otherwise.
!