Upgrading to a GTX 460, need advice on possible bottlenecks...

leecifer

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Hi,

I have a bit of a frankenstein system, that has gradually got updated throughout the ages. At present the system looks like this:

Intel Q9550 2.7Ghz CPU
4GB OCZ 800Mhz RAM
ASUS P5G41C-M iG41 Motherboard
Powercolor HD3850 512MB Graphics Card
Coolermaster Cosmos RC1000 with 700W Realpower PSU

The RAM is now a few years old and so are the graphics. Luckily, I stumbled across a faulty GTX260 on eBay and checked with Palit to see if that model was still under warranty and it was. So I snapped that up for a measily £60 and Palit have agreed to swap it for a brand spanking new GTX460 :D

A friend of mine wants to buy my RAM so I'm thinking of buying 4GB of DDR3 1333Mhz seeing as it is now the same price as DDR2... The board supports either DDR2 or DDR3 for those wondering.

My question is firstly, would the CPU bottleneck the single 460? And secondly, the board isn't the best around and I wondered if this would cause any problems? Can boards even bottleneck a system?

Thanks for your help.

Lee

Wow... good find on the GTX 260. Hard to believe you're getting Palit to warranty the video card for a new GTX 460 at a total financial cost of £60. I guess the old card was never registered to it's owner?

leecifer

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
No it wasn't. A friend of mine had recently sent one of his old cards off for warranty and when I saw the 260 I just thought I'd try it on... The guy hadn't used it for 6 months since it died and decided to try and get something for it so I just winged it and said I worked for a PC repair company and could fix it up myself lol Got him to send me the serial code and luckily Palit agreed they'd replace it with a new model as it was still under warranty!