Computer freezes and Crashes

CanCb

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right section/category to post this question but here it goes.

I have a very old (7 years old) Acer Laptop with an Intel 1.3GHz Pentium chip and a 40GB hard drive.

Recently, the computer keeps freezing and crashing.

I have re-installed the OS several times. Sometimes it helps and the computer sort of functions for a day or two and then crashes. Other times, re-installing the OS does not help at all. I have since bought a new computer, but I want to use this as a learning experience.

How can I test/diagnose my laptop to find out which part is defective?

Thank you.

Yannick

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
If its 7 years old, RAM could be an issue (RAM can be an issue at any time though). Download Windows Memory Diagnostic and run that (you boot to it off of a CD) and it should tell you if you have any RAM issues.

The hard could have issues as well, but I usually don't see frequent crashing and freezes often attributed to that.

Finally some of the main components could have gotten faulty with age, but I would check the RAM if anything.

Anna sui

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
There is an easy way to handle your problem; maybe you can try the software "tuneup360". My friends and I all use it, which can help you fix all the problems you may encounter.