Your question

GTX280 overheating?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
October 5, 2010 1:16:59 PM

Hi all,

I have a problem. I upgraded my system to a Phenom 955 3.2GHZ, 4 gigs DDR3 RAM, 890GX-G65 MSI motherboard but reused my 280GTX card. My power supply is a 750W power supply which is more than adequate for single-GPU (I know because my old system ran on a 550W PSU and it was OK).

I installed x64 Windows 7 and when I run games, it runs smoothly for about 10 seconds before crashing to a very crazy colorful pattern on the screen. I stuck a big house fan on the side of the computer which helps games run for about 10 minutes but the crash is reproduced none the less. Running the computer without graphics-intensive games is stable, only when I turn the games on and it starts accelerating graphics do I run into crashes.

My question is how could I keep this thing cool (my system is in a massive Cooler-Master server case, it has something like 5 additional fans on the inside, it was professionally put together by a computer technician friend of mine)? Is there some program I can use to test the card's integrity? I'm not quite sure what to do, but under the old system, this crash happened once every blue moon and only for certain games, but now it seems like it's happening anytime I play for example Crysis or Modern Warfare 2. I definitely think it is heating because the fan increased the life of the game from 5 seconds to 10 minutes, I just think it's not enough to keep it cool indefinitely. I appreciate any input.

Regards,

M

More about : gtx280 overheating

a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 2:07:44 PM

Download and install MSI afterburner and see if your fan control is set to automatic, then monitor it while you game and see if it is working and increasing fan speed as the card heats up. If it is working ok but still overheating make sure your cooler hasn't come unseated or gotten packed full of dust. You could slow your clocks down and reduce voltage in afterburner to try and reduce the heat, but that's more like treating the symptoms and not the problem.
m
l
a c 197 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 3:36:05 PM

try updating your driver with the latest one? make sure your card is free from dust and re-apply the thermal paste should help a lot...
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2010 4:11:33 PM

My card was undusted by air compressor already. The card already has thermal paste in it, and I don't have the expertise to open up the card to reapply more (and technician isn't available anymore to do it for me). I will try the Afterburner software as soon as I get home and report my findings. I agree that underclocking isn't really solving the problem and if it doesn't kill performance too much and makes it work, I could live with that.

Also, I said that my drivers are up to date. Like yesterday they were updated.
m
l
a c 332 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 4:27:57 PM

marko911 said:
My card was undusted by air compressor already. The card already has thermal paste in it, and I don't have the expertise to open up the card to reapply more (and technician isn't available anymore to do it for me). I will try the Afterburner software as soon as I get home and report my findings. I agree that underclocking isn't really solving the problem and if it doesn't kill performance too much and makes it work, I could live with that.

Also, I said that my drivers are up to date. Like yesterday they were updated.

Unless you removed the HSF shroud then that does not clear it out properly and if the original thermal paste has deteriorated then it's next to useless as it's doing absolutely nothing.
m
l