NVIDIA making their own cards?

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
If im honest, i thought Nvidia bought Point Of View out and kept there name and sold GPU's that way? Or have i complete misjudged the mark and gotten it wrong?

But IF Nvidia would provide the newest GPU's at a decent price, i cant see it ever being a bad thing?

notty22

Distinguished
I think nvidia is running short of quality board partner since BFG DIED AND XFX DITCHED THEM.
This is a fairy tale.
I don't think its a bad thing. Its probably a experiment. They have many contracts for their workstation cards, and over a dozen aib's.
Best Buy, carries PNY, Galaxy gtx 470's,465,460 in my area. And only ATI 5 series cards they have ever carried were xfx 5770',5750. Nothing higher.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005

Wouldn't overclocking basically be like them saying they should have put out the card a bit better then their original specs? If you can OC it then why not make that the base model?

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Saying that when they oc'd the base model to the oc'd version, why wouldnt they oc the oc'd base version lol.

What i would imagine what Nvidia would do is create a "Base" flat line card and then have there "Custom" or "Super" cards which are either OC'd base cards, or a OC'd base card rebranded to make it that little but "special" in terms of difference between the previous card but an extra line out there for the taking

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
they will probably still honor warrenty .. just won't be an option on future models.. as there won't be any

add

actually according to further research its not only a 1 year warrenty provided you regirster an nvidia card with xfx.. bummer

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

To be honest, again in the UK, if we buy a product we go back to the supplier rather than the manufactor of the card, so to me it doesnt matter wether its a ASUS, Nvidia or MSI brand of card, i deal direct with the suppiler to get it replaced.

As long as it works and works for the time i need it, i dont really give a hoot who its made by. As long as the bloody thing works for what i need it to do. :) If it blows up, or just breaks, it gets replaced anyways, so again this is just another brand out there us customers can explore.

What is the main focus on what each brand should offer is:

Bundles - Free Game(s) or the such
Warranty - The more the marrier
Looks - Having a reference card with just a different logo or the "Custom" or "Super" designs etc etc

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
But they're adopting Intel- like policies an selling the cards at a premium.If they were market leaders, nvidia might think about selling them for a higher price.When they have their work cut out by ATI, shouldn't they be selling the cards at competitive prices?

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
They are probably selling their cards at a premium becasue they want people to believe that their cards are premium. There are many cases where the manufacturer will sell a product more expensive due to the extra work the put into obtaining quailty compared to a sub-manufacture that will put out a lower cost product by cutting corners.