Sign in with
Your question

Wifi passwords that dont work for pc users

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 24, 2010 3:32:14 AM

Hello,
My friends will let my houseguest use their wifi while my modem and I are away. Their password is straightforward, but only us Mac users seem to be able to get online with it. This problem occurred when I visited my Mac family with my pc husband - he couldn't use the ordinary word password, but had to enter a 10 digit something my whiz brother came up with - How can we turn the 8 letter word password we have to the 10 digits a pc user has to offer?
August 24, 2010 6:35:55 AM

ElizabethH said:
Hello,
My friends will let my houseguest use their wifi while my modem and I are away. Their password is straightforward, but only us Mac users seem to be able to get online with it. This problem occurred when I visited my Mac family with my pc husband - he couldn't use the ordinary word password, but had to enter a 10 digit something my whiz brother came up with - How can we turn the 8 letter word password we have to the 10 digits a pc user has to offer?

[#0005ff]I'm afraid you can only get in with the 10 digits the router is expecting to see - like any other password, if it isn't correct, the door stays locked. If you ownth erouter, you cna change the security key but it's far more likely that you cannot do that so you need to find out that 10 digit code and use it. If it's your system, follow the instructions I put in post number 3 in this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/28102-18-suppoort-s... and alter the security key but it will need to apply to MAC and PC alike so everyone needs to know that code. [/#000ff]
!