Looking for a replacement PSU and computer case

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I am looking for a new case and PSU for my current computer and my next computer after I upgrade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current System Spec
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q6600 3.0GHZ
GIGABYTE EP45-DS3R
6GB PC2 6400 800mhz (2x 2gb/2x 1gb)
Nvidia GTX 275 896mb
Asus Xonar DX soundcard
Windows 7 x64
Jeantech 1000W PSU

Operating system is on 2TB drive
++ two 1TB data drives, one 500GB drive (all sata drives)

I will be replacing the budget £30 case I currently use and the "Jeantech 1000W PSU".

After a lot of research the best candidates in my opinion:

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced Case (£75.33)

Corsair 750W HX modular PSU (£110.11)

My concerns are whether these will be suitable for use after I upgrade. I will be investing ~£1000 on my next CPU/motherboard/RAM/GPU and will be upgrading to whatever offers the best price/performance. I could upgrade now but have been advised to wait for the next generation of hardware to hit which should spawn some bargains on the current top hardware.

Considering my budget I do not want to overlook a quality case and PSU. The Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced offers versatility with modular drive bays and the like. I don't know whether 750W will be enough though. To note, I don't think I'll run a multi-GPU setup (it just seems like a major headache) I am more likely to buy a dual core GPU (if it is worth it). The Corsair 850W HX seems like a reasonable alternative, it is another £20 or so

Case fans are something I have always overlooked in the past. I have read some things about where to position fans in a case for optimal airflow. Now I need to figure out which fans I should get!

To quote from the specification:

■Air cooling support for up to 10 fans (with support for up to 5 x 140mm fans)
■3x Case Fans are included - Front 140mm Blue LED Fan, Top 140mm Fan and rear 120mm Fan

Will I need anything else? Are there better options I can replace these with?

Thank you very much for any suggestions

i agree with dadiggle, cases are personal, so as long as it suits ur requirements, thats what counts and u like the look of it, and second thats a very decent powersupply, from corsair, should be plenty of power for ur system and new upgrades :)

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
excellent! I think I will stick with my choices then. Thank you for the other case suggestion Dadiggle, it did offer perspective. I am also going to upgrade my graphics card because the 275GTX I'm using is suffering from some overheating problems and I want to experience Crysis 2 at its finest (I play @ 1920x1200, my 275gtx offers around 20-30fps on highest settings on the PC leak and it would be nice to run at a solid 40fps+)

I will probably get the ATI 6870 as a temporary gpu for now and then sell it/upgrade (if necessary) later this year when I upgrade everything

Do you agree the 6870 is the best GPU regarding price/performance at the moment? is there a better deal in the uk than this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244430 £180, and a reliable brand (sapphire)

Thank you for the support :)

Full Tower ($150-200)

Antec DF-85
HAF-X

Mid Tower ($100 - 120)
HAF-922
Antec DF-35

Mid Tower (< $70)
Antec 300 Illusion

Do you agree the 6870 is the best GPU regarding price/performance at the moment?

No, I'm partial to the 560 Ti ... but the 6870 is there, if the 560's price point is too high at any point in time

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gaming-graphics-card,2857-4.html

On the other hand, the Radeon HD 6870 continues to be good competition in this price range, available for as little as $235 (with a couple models even cheaper than that). With GeForce GTX 560 Ti performance a little higher than the Radeon HD 6870 on average, the price spread is justified and both cards come in as recommended buys.

These are worth looking at also:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-roundup-asus-engtx560-graphics-card-overclocking,2858.html

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Interesting. Although, these are silver certified whereas the HX series are gold. I am not too savvy on PSU's but I do not wish to compromise at all.

I have been advised to consider this;

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/235559 Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular PSU - £119.99 - £22 off.

It seems like an excellent deal has arrived just in time. This will cost just £10 more than the corsair 750W HX. It will definately ease any concerns about future upgrades with 1000W of power and it is from a reliable brand/gold certified/modular.

Here is a review of the Cooler Master. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3856/cooler-master-silent-pro-m1000-1000w/9

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
you don't need a 1000w psu unless your going for a tri setup.
Why not go for the 6950 which is about 30usd more than the 6870 and you can flash it to the 6970?

I just bought the nvidia 560ti from gigabyte but I could cancel the order any time over the weekend and change to the 6950. That card did look promising although I am not sure how useful the 2GB of memory will be at 1920x1200 and under... :/

I also went with the coolermaster 1000W PSU. May be overkill but it will offer great flexibility for upgrades. Today I use four sata hard drives, a dedicated sound card, many usb devices and a very power-thirsty GPU! After I upgrade the power requirement will probably become even higher