Any suggestions for my first build?

sedonarider

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hello, I searched through a lot of the configurations reviewed, applied some changes and have come up with this final build. I am not a gamer, but I do video / slideshow processing.

Thermaltake Armor A60 Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis With Cable Management Water Cooling SSD Support And Tool-Less Installation ...

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core i7-950

(Qty 2 for 8GB) CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi)

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC

(qty 2 in raid 1) Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner with 3D Playback SATA AFT PRO-35U All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

I debated between this Gigabyte MOBO and an ASUS. Reviews on ASUS memory problems steered me towards the Gigabyte, but I am concerned 20 percent of reviews were a 1 egg on Newegg.

This is my first build. Are there any concerns with the build? Any receommended changes?

Thank you,

Dan

tecmo34

Administrator
1) I would recommend against the UD3R. Just spend sometime in the Motherboard section of the Forum and you'll get an understanding of the issues related to it (or just PM a user name jaquith... he has a history of issues :( ). I would go with the ASUS Sabertooth X58 for a dual card setup or the ASUS P6X58D-E for a three card setup.

2) You want to purchase in sets of 3 for triple-channel not sets of 2 for dual channel. Here is the set I would go with and stay at just 6GB (not 8GB). CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP6GX3M3A1600C7

3) The rest of the build looks good to me. :)

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I like the case choice a lot.
I do think this is overkill though. For video processing, I can understand the i7, but the rest of the build seems a bit unbalanced. You'd be fine with a 650W PSU (I recommend the gray-fanned XFX), assuming you won't be CFing. The RAM frequency is excessive considering the cost over 1600MHz sets, and you picked out a dual-channel set when you should be looking at triple-channel sets. I'd recommend a 6GB 1600 set, unless you're using particularly memory-hungry apps (in which case 12GB would be appropriate). Lastly, there's no reason to get a SATA 3 drive, like Screwy mentioned. Just pick up two F3s or 7200.12s for RAID.
The Gigabyte's reviews are rather unsettling. Which Asus are you looking at?

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Overkill in quality I can understand, but overkill in performance is a different thing.... Well, whatever floats your boat. I hope you don't disregard my PSU suggestion, though. The XFX PSUs are Seasonic-manufactured (and use one of Seasonic's best designs), so they're of higher quality than the 750TX. They're also more efficient and modular. And they're still overkill, too. :p

sedonarider

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I do not mind overkilling performance to a point since my old system is getting pretty slow. I am still on a dual core with XP. My concern is if the performance is mis-matched.

I appreciate all the feedback. I am changing to the Asus Sabertooth with the 6GB Corsair. Just reviewing the hard drives now. Acutally, I am trying to find SATA 2 at 2TB with Raid support that matches the price of the Seagates at $169 on Newegg.

I will look at the PSU next.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Based on the same M12D design as the XFX I suggested, IIRC. Sedona's i7 + GTX470 system will not draw more than 450W at peak, so the 650W PSU is more than sufficient. But for $5 more (or $25 less, after rebate), the XFX offers better efficiency and modular cables.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
ASUS and Gigabyte are both good choices.
Just make sure your ram is compatible and that you read the mobo manual for proper placement in the slots. Brands/ series often have specific card slots set up for specific memory configurations.
BTW, overkill rocks. And upgrade often.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Hm. If your video processing applications directly benefit from the 470's CUDA cores, keep it. Otherwise, a $100 card would be overkill. Keep in mind that you can always upgrade.
I still think you may be underestimating the upgrade. Your current system most likely feels slow due to either your HDD or your RAM. The Crucial SSD and any of the 6GB sets you're looking at will cure that. But the Barracuda XT drives and the Corsair PSU would, at most, provide you peace of mind. And that's where we come in :D so that you know you can claim peace of mind without unnecessary expenses.

sedonarider

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Just read the compatible memory and the Corsair Dominator memory is not listed for the Asus. Thank you for the tip.

blackjellognomes, I was not sure if you were changing your mind from the XFX or reasoning why this is the best selection. There are two XFX 650W PSUs. Is one better than the other.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Not changing my mind; I'm simply saying that if the Corsair PSU will give you peace of mind and if I can't convince you that the XFX is more than sufficient, then go ahead and buy the Corsair.
The two XFX PSUs are pretty much the same except for a few cables and the fan color. I think you'll find that the gray-fanned one is both cheaper and plentiful in regard to connectors, so I suggest that one.

sedonarider

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
You did convince me to go with the XFX. I do appreciate the feedback of everyone. In all, I reduced the cost of the build $300. I am going to stick with the 470. I know it is overkill, but I would rather pay the price now, then upgrade later.