BG1: Reducing reputation

How can I reduce my party's reputation without making it such that I get
attacked in every city? I once was caught stealing and attacked the
Flaming Fist guard, but then everyone in Nashkel became hostile. I would
like to avoid that. I need to keep the rep lower because I have several
evil NPCs I would prefer to keep (Edwin, Kagain, and Montaron). I plan to
pick up Viconia, which will help, but other than that how can I keep the
reputation lower without ruining the game?

Thanks,

Brandt
9 answers Last reply
More about reducing reputation
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Brandt P" <bpruett@twminospam.rr.com> wrote in message
    > How can I reduce my party's reputation without making it such that I get
    > attacked in every city? I once was caught stealing and attacked the
    > Flaming Fist guard, but then everyone in Nashkel became hostile. I would
    > like to avoid that. I need to keep the rep lower because I have several
    > evil NPCs I would prefer to keep (Edwin, Kagain, and Montaron). I plan to
    > pick up Viconia, which will help, but other than that how can I keep the
    > reputation lower without ruining the game?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brandt

    When you get caught stealing/pick pocketing, DO NOT FIGHT. When guards
    arrive, just run away. As far as I know, they will not follow you off of
    your current screen. So always steal indoors, then you just have to run
    outside.

    MO
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "> When you get caught stealing/pick pocketing, DO NOT FIGHT. When guards
    > arrive, just run away. As far as I know, they will not follow you off of
    > your current screen. So always steal indoors, then you just have to run
    > outside.
    >
    > MO

    I have started doing that. At this point I'm just looking for ways to keep
    the reputation low.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > "> When you get caught stealing/pick pocketing, DO NOT FIGHT. When guards
    > > arrive, just run away. As far as I know, they will not follow you off of
    > > your current screen. So always steal indoors, then you just have to run
    > > outside.
    > >
    > > MO
    >
    > I have started doing that. At this point I'm just looking for ways to
    keep
    > the reputation low.

    Just make sure when you pick pocket inside that you do not have to return to
    that building. I think the people in there will remain hostile forever.

    I wouldn't let you back in my house if you tried to steal from me either.

    I found that my reputation didn't climb as high in BG2. There are actions
    that reduce it.

    I didn't really have a problem with it in BG1, although I did not have any
    evil characters.

    Spoiler

    I'm not sure if one of the items that you but at high hedge lowers
    reputation or not. I can just remember that there were negative effects to
    using them. The specific items were a claw or horn of Kazagoth or something
    like that. Its been a long time.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Brandt P wrote:

    > "> When you get caught stealing/pick pocketing, DO NOT FIGHT. When guards
    > > arrive, just run away. As far as I know, they will not follow you off of
    > > your current screen. So always steal indoors, then you just have to run
    > > outside.
    > >
    > > MO
    >
    > I have started doing that. At this point I'm just looking for ways to keep
    > the reputation low.

    Avoig sub-quests with +rep rewards:
    Joia's ring; Firebead's book; money to Brun; Oublek; Prism;
    Melicamp; Bjornin; CW mines flood; Sick Sam; Brage; Idol;
    Arabelle cow; Dryad; Drienne's cat; Lighthouse kid; Tamah;
    Officer Vai
    In the city:
    Noralee; Nester's dagger; Ghorak; Brielbara; Fergus;
    Nadine/Euric

    List might be incomplete. Some +rep's are unavoidable, e.g.,
    Nashkel mines (part of the main quest).

    Replies to: Njk04s_130_p(at)Ojuno(dot)Tcom
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Brandt P" <bpruett@twminospam.rr.com> schreef in bericht

    > "> When you get caught stealing/pick pocketing, DO NOT FIGHT. When guards
    > > arrive, just run away. As far as I know, they will not follow you off of
    > > your current screen. So always steal indoors, then you just have to run
    > > outside.
    > >
    > > MO
    >
    > I have started doing that. At this point I'm just looking for ways to
    keep
    > the reputation low.

    Reminds me of my current play with Xar, Viconia, Edwin, Shar-Teel and Kaigan
    (mwuahahaha).

    Whenever it gets high due to quests, just attack the two outer guards at the
    gates by the friendly arms inn. That will get you somewhere. Some murder in
    the temple will also work, as murdering citizens and then run out of the
    screen. Just watch out you don't get despised and everyone will be happy.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hari Seldon wrote:

    > Whenever it gets high due to quests, just attack the two outer guards at the
    > gates by the friendly arms inn. That will get you somewhere. Some murder in
    > the temple will also work, as murdering citizens and then run out of the
    > screen. Just watch out you don't get despised and everyone will be happy.

    You can also kill guys in Wilderness areas without people turning
    hostile. I try to keep my Rep at about 7 for an evil party, otherwise
    you have to pay extra for stuff. If not you can always donate at a
    temple, which, IIRC is exremely cheap in BG1 (check the manual).
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Phillip Bryant" <Batiu_drami@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hari Seldon wrote:
    >

    > > Whenever it gets high due to quests, just attack the two outer guards at
    the
    > > gates by the friendly arms inn. That will get you somewhere. Some murder
    in
    > > the temple will also work, as murdering citizens and then run out of the
    > > screen. Just watch out you don't get despised and everyone will be
    happy.

    > You can also kill guys in Wilderness areas without people turning
    > hostile. I try to keep my Rep at about 7 for an evil party, otherwise
    > you have to pay extra for stuff. If not you can always donate at a
    > temple, which, IIRC is exremely cheap in BG1 (check the manual).

    RCV: Evils only hit break status at rep 19, so its quite safe to run the
    party at rep 18 and get your 30% discount at stores. Their "complaining"
    voice bits are hardly any more or less annoying than their neutral or
    "happy" ones, so its a small price to pay for 30% off on merchandise.....

    Rich
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Brandt P" <bpruett@twminospam.rr.com> wrote in message news:<d_Jpc.22868$sA.19595@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
    > How can I reduce my party's reputation without making it such that I get
    > attacked in every city? I once was caught stealing and attacked the
    > Flaming Fist guard, but then everyone in Nashkel became hostile. I would
    > like to avoid that. I need to keep the rep lower because I have several
    > evil NPCs I would prefer to keep (Edwin, Kagain, and Montaron). I plan to
    > pick up Viconia, which will help, but other than that how can I keep the
    > reputation lower without ruining the game?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brandt

    The only two things I can remember off the top of my head are:
    1) Not helping the slaves in the Cloakwood Mines and leaving them
    there to drown (Reputation -2).
    2) Siding with Silke and killing "Feldepost's thugs" for her
    (Reputation -2).

    -Echon

    In Progress: The Fields of the Dead
    http://echon.cyg.dk/bgmod
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Rich C. Velay" <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> schreef in bericht

    > "Phillip Bryant" <Batiu_drami@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hari Seldon wrote:
    > >

    > > > Whenever it gets high due to quests, just attack the two outer guards
    at
    > the
    > > > gates by the friendly arms inn. That will get you somewhere. Some
    murder
    > in
    > > > the temple will also work, as murdering citizens and then run out of
    the
    > > > screen. Just watch out you don't get despised and everyone will be
    > happy.
    > > >

    > > You can also kill guys in Wilderness areas without people turning
    > > hostile. I try to keep my Rep at about 7 for an evil party, otherwise
    > > you have to pay extra for stuff. If not you can always donate at a
    > > temple, which, IIRC is exremely cheap in BG1 (check the manual).
    >
    > RCV: Evils only hit break status at rep 19, so its quite safe to run
    the
    > party at rep 18 and get your 30% discount at stores. Their "complaining"
    > voice bits are hardly any more or less annoying than their neutral or
    > "happy" ones, so its a small price to pay for 30% off on merchandise.....
    >
    > Rich

    Ha! Merchandise.. I just kill everyone in LOS and pick whatever I need
    (mwuahahaha). Honest, I've never played as evil as I have with this group...
    and I like it.

Games Video Games