Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is the Windows 7 discount for Students an Upgrade Version?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2009 7:11:40 PM

I just built a new PC and need Windows 7 for it. I can get the discount for Windows 7, but I'm not sure if I can install it. Will I be able to?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2009 7:47:12 PM

The discount only applies to upgrades, get more info at:
http://www.techworld.com.au/article/319199/microsoft_sl...
An upgrade requires you to have a previous full version that qualifies, XP, Windows 2000 or Vista.
December 29, 2009 8:45:59 PM

Thanks. I'm stuck with the full price then.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2009 9:20:29 PM

I didn't think Windows 2000 was a qualifying version of Windows... I thought you had to have at least XP to be eligible for the Windows 7 upgrade.
December 29, 2009 9:22:48 PM

Zoron said:
I didn't think Windows 2000 was a qualifying version of Windows... I thought you had to have at least XP to be eligible for the Windows 7 upgrade.

That's true.
December 29, 2009 11:35:16 PM

you can upgrade off the windows7 beta i beleive
December 30, 2009 12:23:16 AM

I hope you have not just paid the full price?

Although its an upgrade version, you dont need an os installed. I had win 7 beta, but were able to do a full format as a fresh install.

You buy the key and get this by email, which includes the download link. With this you download all the files and can upgrade or use custom install to do a full and clean install. If you have any problems and would like the iso cd image, contact them and you will get a new link for this image.

Download, burn and now boot from cd, again use custom install to give options like partition and format.

Trust me, i have it and have installed it this way!
December 30, 2009 12:36:46 AM

Boxa786 said:
I hope you have not just paid the full price?

Although its an upgrade version, you dont need an os installed. I had win 7 beta, but were able to do a full format as a fresh install.

You buy the key and get this by email, which includes the download link. With this you download all the files and can upgrade or use custom install to do a full and clean install. If you have any problems and would like the iso cd image, contact them and you will get a new link for this image.

Download, burn and now boot from cd, again use custom install to give options like partition and format.

Trust me, i have it and have installed it this way!

So I can buy an upgrade CD, and install it on my empty hard drive? I'm using it for the computer I just built.
December 30, 2009 5:22:11 AM

Yes
December 30, 2009 1:51:56 PM

I think the article from techworld was using "upgrade" in the colloquial and not technical sense. I paid the student price and do not recall having to enter a valid XP key or anything. But double check to be safe.
!