xX StitcH

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I read an article recently about switches and hubs, and in the article it said that hubs are "dumb" and switches are "smart". It said that hubs cannot inspect traffic quality or verify packet integrity. Then went on to say that switches actively look at the traffic it receives and based on the destination address it will direct that traffic only to the port needed.

So, on to my question. I have a hub in my basement that supplies a connection to 3 devices (a PC and 2 360's).

If I bought a switch, would I notice faster response times while playing games (on the PC or the 360's)?

Shadowsken

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
You would possibly notice slightly faster 'response times' with a switch rather than a hub, but only if more than one device is powered on at once.

Think of it like this, a hub sends packets through the cables to your equipment, and receives packets back as well. The problem with hubs is they can only handle one set of data packets at once, where as a switch can handle packets to/from more than one piece of equipment. It sends the packets to the right destination rather than sending the data to all the pieces of equipment (which slows down the network considerably).

If you regularly have more than one thing on at once, go for a switch, but don't unnecessarily spend money on something you don't really need.

xX StitcH

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Well, my brother and I normally play 360 at the same time, and my dad is using the computer constantly. I will check out prices and possibly get one.

Is there any model that you suggest?

EDIT: How is this one? I like Asus, but I'm not sure if their network equipment is good.

This one better?

KBentley57

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
The main difference between a switch and a hub is this:

Hub:

Only two devices may talk to each other at a single time, and bandwidth is shared. In a hub all info is "broadcast" to all other devices.

Switch:

More than two devices can talk to each other at a single time. Bandwidth is not shared, and data is sent directly to specific devices.

Nowadays hubs are probably hard to find. Switches are just the newer way of doing things.

noblepuker

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
:sleep: I'm going on memory here: A switch can send while receiving (packets)...a hub does one then the other.You'd think your connection would improve by 50%,but it won't...these 'packets' of info are coming and going in miliseconds.Unless your an android,the difference will be minimal.Hubs are cheap now...heck,i recently gave a 4 porter away.Tried to sell it,but everyones on routers. :sweat:
Hubs annoy me personally,not because they lack speed,but because all devices are dependant on the 'master',and it has to be turned on....With routers (an asyncronous hub basically) each device is independant.I'm runnin 4 PC's on a wireless router...i have my own demons,so don't take this reply as gospel :whistle: Must go,good luck my friend.

razorwindmo46

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Updating this post to get up to speed with the date.
@ samkay102 - Hubs do come in full duplex.

Lets put it this way, if more than one computer is on at a time, and assuming they are going to be using heavy net traffic (such as gaming online and downloading movies etc.), get a switch.
Switches and hubs are equal in cost until your connecting more than 4 computers.