Sign in with
Your question

Strange BSoDs on otherwise working system

Tags:
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
October 29, 2011 10:55:18 PM

Hi,

I have a rather strange problem with my new rig. First of all, here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (BIOS F8, latest stable)
Intel Core i5 2500 (Standard clock/voltage)
Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 (XMP)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (Standard clock/voltage)
Corsair VX550W
4 Hard drives, 2 fans

The memory is tested, rated, and supplied with a XMP to run at 1600MHz with 9-9-9-24 timings.

The system actually works just fine.. until I try to use Windows (7 Professional x64). I get random BSoDs, mostly PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4E/99) and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A). The troubling bit is that I get them as early as the installation itself, it reliably fails while copying the files. I managed to install the OS and it usually crashes within a couple of minutes of use.

This lead me to belive that the memory sticks could be faulty, but a 7-hour run of memtest86+ 4.2 finished without detecting anything wrong.

The system is stable with both sticks in a dual-channel config on my primary (UNIX-ish) OS, and is stable under Windows if I have just one stick in any slot on the MB. Plugging them both in is pretty much an insta-crash.

I tried relaxing the timings, on a 1333Mhz 9-10-9-27 config it seemed stable, but that might have been a fluke, because when I tried to bump it to 1600MHz it crashed again; reverting back to 1333MHz did nothing - it crashed within a couple of minutes, again.

I've also tried to rule out as many factors as possible - I ran Intel's CPU Diagnostic Tool, and it passed; even did a full surface scan of the hard drive, passed.

I've never run into an issue like this, so can someone please point me in the right direction? Could it be a MB/BIOS bug, should I have the RAM exchanged even though it mostly works, or is Windows just not that good...

More about : strange bsods working system

October 29, 2011 11:02:27 PM

A quick edit, I got the RAM model# wrong: it's CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 - 2x4GB, obviously.
Also, according to Corsair, it's rated and tested at 1.5V.
!