Sign in with
Your question

Poor friend in need of better graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2010 7:47:41 PM

Hey guys/gals,

I have a friend with an HP desktop computer. He wants (needs!) a dedicated video card so he can play games at least to some degree better than he can now. The only port he has is a PCIe 1.1.

What's the best video card he can get that isn't just overkill for that port? I know that putting it in a 1.1 port is a bad idea, but this is his only option. What's the best without going more than the port can handle?

Thanks guys.

More about : poor friend graphics

a c 376 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 8:00:33 PM

The port isn't the issue, you may want to avoid PCIE 2.1 cards but that is about it. What is more likely to limit video card selection is the power supply and possibly the processor if it is weak.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 8:04:53 PM

ANy PCI-E card will work in the slot, just MAY have compatability issues with the latest PCI-E 2.1 Cards, but as a side note, PSU needs to be a decent one to cope with the extra power.

For the higher end gaming cards (Nvidia GTX460's + and ATI equivilent 57xx and 58xx i believe - someone help me out with the ATI side of things) you'll need a decent 500/600 wattage PSU.
October 5, 2010 8:54:55 PM

He's not looking into big budget anything. Just enough to make some games playable. Less than $100 for sure.

So the port won't bottleneck the living hell out of the card or am I just overlooking that? I was looking for a card that wouldn't just simply be bottlenecked and a waste of money.
October 6, 2010 6:54:12 AM

HD 5670 would be a nice choice
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 7:15:24 AM

dredj said:
He's not looking into big budget anything. Just enough to make some games playable. Less than $100 for sure.

So the port won't bottleneck the living hell out of the card or am I just overlooking that? I was looking for a card that wouldn't just simply be bottlenecked and a waste of money.

The PCI-E Port on the moberboard wont slow the card down, some people have experianced compatability issues with the slot being of 1.1 version and a PCI-E Card of 2.1 version.

I mayself have never experianced this problem, but i had a GTX465 and it worked wonders. Downloaded the latest drivers and bam.

Thing is, it all depends on what games he wants to run, as just getting a GPU wont solve or help much if the other components are not the best in the first place. (But it does help i must admit)

IF you could give us some of his Specs, Esp his CPU, RAM, Monitor Res and PSU Wattage. THis would help us ALOT in helping with the GPU choice. Pretty much not over spending on a GPU which you could of got the same/similar performance from a lesser priced card.
October 6, 2010 3:30:52 PM

I'll look into it and check back. If he does need a better psu, the combination would still have to be sub $100. It's good to know that a 1.1 shouldn't slow it down too much. Would nvidia or amd (ati - r.i.p.) have better luck with compatibility?
!