Solved

Help with spacing on a motherboard.

Hey everyone,

I'm about to put together a new system, and need some help on whether or not ill have enough space in the expansion card area.

I am considering the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4, and will need space for the following:

1 radeon 6870
A second radeon 6870 in crossfire in the future
1 Asus Xonar DX Sound card in a PCIe 1x slot
1 WLAN card in a PCI slot.

I've drawn up a diagram of how i'm thinking of putting them all in - I'd put the sound card in the PCIe 1x slot nearest the cpu socket, but it will be blocked by the heat sink next to it due to its length. A couple of things i'm wondering about:

-Will the sound card &/or WLAN card adversely interfere with cooling/airflow of the 2 radeon 6870's?

-Plus, am i going to fry my sound card or get any considerable interference in sound quality considering it's between the 2 radeons?
(i'm not sure how all that works, but know that some sound cards come with shielding, which mine won't have.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help spacing motherboard
  1. A few things u should know about SATA/USB 3.0 tech and mobos as shown by our very own forums here
    USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,2583.html
    Not All USB 3.0 Implementations Are Created Equal
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nec-controller-usb-3-pd720200,2682.html
    Also note that LGA 1156 shall be usurped by LGA 1155 as soon as end of this year/possible Q1 next year if u intending to sink a wee bit on chip + board FYI.. with no backwards/forwards compatibility
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-sandy-bridge-details-of-the-next-gen/
  2. Best answer
    ^ An alternative way -
    Change the board to this - ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - Has better implementation of SATA 6GB/s and USB3.0

As for the card placement -
    1. Sound Card
    2. HD 6870
    3. HD 6870
    And get a USB Wireless instead of a PCI....
  3. Hi guys thanks for the replies,
    @ batchuka - thanks for that info, and yeah i'm looking forward to sandy bridge next year, but am on university holidays at the moment so i'd rather build now and spend the time enjoying it, rather than waiting, but i am considering an upgrade next year, maybe even waiting and seeing how bulldozer turns out. I'm not terribly concerned tho about SATA/USB 3.0 at the moment, but could help resale values if i were to upgrade next year.

@gkay09 - I was actually thinking of this board too, but as i've got a PCI Wifi card in my old pc i was thinking of buying a board I could use it in. => I just checked out prices tho and buying the the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro & usb wifi stick would actually work out around the same price (and would let me make a few bucks from the PCI card). Looks like it could suit pretty well.

What are your thoughts on the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, does it handle overclocking and crossifre well?
  4. Awesome, after spending the last several hours looking through reviews it looks like i'll be going with the P7P55D-E Pro, seems like it will be a pretty good motherboard. Thanks!
  5. Best answer selected by RoboTree.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Sound Cards Motherboards Radeon Systems Product