Your question

Remove cpu fan and clean out dust

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Workstations
  • eMachines
Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2011 5:44:11 AM

I have an eMachine T6410 that I'm setting up to use as my primary workstation. It sat on the floor for over 5 years in my son's room and so what is the best way to clean out the dust? Also there is lots of dust covering some of the cpu cooling fins between the fan and the cpu. Would it be wise to pull off the cpu fan and clean out that dust?

More about : remove cpu fan clean dust

a b à CPUs
February 25, 2011 11:56:07 AM

A can or two of compressed air does wonders. You don't need to take anything apart. You can pick it up almost anyplace that sells electronics.
m
l
February 26, 2011 3:06:45 AM

jitpublisher said:
A can or two of compressed air does wonders. You don't need to take anything apart. You can pick it up almost anyplace that sells electronics.

Thanks, I did use compressed air to clean out the dust and it seems to working ok. Once I had the OS installed and updated, the pc started to reboot spontaneously. I think it may have been overheating a bit or there may have been a hardware issue inside as I had installed a second hard drive and a second dvd burnrer. I went back in and reconnected the two hard drives and made sure the cables were not touching the mother board. Seems to be ok now.
m
l
!