Do an am3 processor work with my mobo

aasifdm

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
hi folks.... i have an asus m2n sli deluxe mobo which has am2 socket. and i am thinking it to upgrade it with a phenom 2 or athlon 2 .... so they are am3 cpu will they be compatible with my mobo...and if yes then will it give me the full performance from it?? i will mostly play games and videos. wont be overclocking the cpu anytime. so what processor will be best for me and my budget wud be around 100 to 130 bucks...pls help me out.

Snet

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Well It depends, AM2+ CPUs are backward compatiable with AM3 Sockets but not the otherway round. I have an athlon II X2 which performs very well. A new AM3 board won't break the bank , get a Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 board which gives you a new USB 3 feature plus it gives you enhacend gaming and audio performance. CPU depends on what you get as X2 has 2 MB cache and X6 has 8MB cache onboard which determines performace so its up to you how many cores you want

Do you already have a working processor for your motherboard? If so, all you have to do is check the supported processor list I linked to, make sure that the x4 processor you want to buy is on the list. then make sure that you have updated the BIOS to the level required for that processor. You should be good to go. :sol:

shahriarxtreme

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hi everyone, this is my first post in toms hardware hope you people will help me. :D i recently bought athlon IIX4 640 processor & gigabyte M68MT-D3 (nforce 630a). this mobo downgrades my ht link to 1.0 from 3.0. how much performance drop should be there? please help me as this thing is killing the peace of my mind. i have 4gb ddr3 ram, gigabyte superb 550p psu & sapphire 5770.
please help

endyen

Splendid
don't worry about the support list it will work. Your mobo can even take a X4 955 Be and 965be version

Go here click on the validate to see
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tYGdIkP_er780-XJp05_eiQ&w=84&h=600

The thing thats normally the problem are the TDP. Your mobo can support 125w cpus. That cpu I suggested is 95w even less. So it will work without a problem

You are probably right. With Asus boards, it will probably run, even if it doesn't recognize it. Still, if it doesn't, you and I are out zip, it's the OP who has to pay.

aasifdm

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
AMD Phenom II X4 840 Propus 3.2GHz 4x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor or AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX which one shall i go with both are not on the list of mobo support.

TRENDING THREADS