Error 105 Name_not_resolved

G

Hello,
I am using Windows XP PRO, v2002, SP2 on a Pentium 4 2.80GHz PC and using IE8 and Google Chrome 5.0.375.55 Browsers on a Broadband connection.
I am able to access most sites on the Net. But when I try to access any Microsoft site I get a "Page not available" ERROR 105: NAME_NOT_Resolved message on both Browsers. Similarly too for the AVG site. Most other sites, including Tom's open.
Network Diagnostics shows Error 12007 on HTTP, HTTPS and FTP not able to open microsoft.com.
Can someone please help!
Kay2sm

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Sounds like you've got some sort of virus / malware. You'll need some good AV software or a format / reinstall on your computer. FYI - SP2 is way old, for XP you need to be on SP3.

You can probably look in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and see where microsoft.com and and avg are defined in there... normally the file should look like kinda like the below, essentially meaning that everything will rely on DNS... I'm betting you have some junk in there from malware.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

wyattspoppa

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hi, I was following your advice on this and went to the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts as you suggested, but none of the 5 files in there are files called just "hosts" and none of them are accessible files, they're the kind that ask you what program you want to use to open and named HOSTSbak, lmhosts, hosts.20100114-205112.backup, services, protocol, networks...none can be opened
I'm getting kicked off the internet regularly, my pc is hardly responding to my typing, I have to mouse-click in any box like 10 times just to get it to allow me to type anything...I did the usual stuff, ccleaner, spybot, ran my norton and spysweeper...no help. Any advice? Thanks for your valuable time