CastleC

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I just replaced my Mb/CPU/Ram two days ago and have ran into an issue with the system rebooting while under load ( specifically while playing COD: BO).
I seems to do it randomly but always while playing this game..meaning sometimes when starting the game up for the first time or after an hour of playing. Everything else seems to run stable the rest of the time.

i5-760
gigabyte p55
4g Corsair xms3
GTS 250

CPUID shows that the cpu is running at around 40c at idle, and I am running an earthwatts 500w psu.

I am at a loss so any input and help is appreciated.

Solution
Are you overclocked? Stock settings for CPU / Memory / GPU? Memory configured per the recommended timings and voltage? May want to run FurMark to stress test your graphic card.

FYI - Let Prime95 run for at least an hour to ensure stability...
You are going to have to run a stress test (Prime95 or other) and see what your temps are when at full load for a long(er) period of time. On the surface it sounds like you are hitting some protection threshold. This assumes you didn't just slap your old hard drive on the new motherboard without reinstalling the OS... Check your temps, then ensure all drivers (motherboard) are up-to-date.

CastleC

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Ok Prime95 ran for 35 minutes and completed 24 tests. The system never shut off, max core temp hit was 81c.

I used Gigabytes download center and all drivers are up to date.

Are you overclocked? Stock settings for CPU / Memory / GPU? Memory configured per the recommended timings and voltage? May want to run FurMark to stress test your graphic card.

FYI - Let Prime95 run for at least an hour to ensure stability...

Solution

CastleC

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
No overclocking what so ever....I am not sure if you are asking if the cpu/gpu/memory is at stock settings or if you are asking what the settings are? But the hardware is the same as it came out of the box.

I will try the FurMark and I can rerun prime95 for an hour.

CastleC

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I downloaded Furmark and attempted to run it at 1280x1024, fullscreen, I selected the stability test and clicked go....

The system shut off immediately and restarted, basically the same way it does with COD BO.