Sign in with
Your question

Desk with built in pc

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2010 3:01:28 PM

This is a desk i built from scratch with built in pc. The desk is currently being used as a server, an 8 channel dvr, it also has two diaplays showing live nyc traffics cameras in our dispatch office (not in pictures). I also use it as an everyday pc. The desk has a 1/2 inch plexijglass top that opens up with a piano hinge. I am in the process of installing some linear actuators so that the desk opens up at a push of a button to make it easier to access the components. The drawers/legs were bought from ikea.

PC specs,

p6t7 ws supercomputer

corsair 1000w psu

corsair tx650w (i had to add an additional psu because several connections would not reach)

2x galaxy gtx 460

core i7 980x

6 gb ddr3 ram

q-see 8 channel dvr

1 seagate 1tb hd

1 wd caviar green 1tb hd - in single 3.5 inch bay hot swap

2 ssd in raid 0 - intel 80 gb and 60 gb ocz vertex - in 4 ssd hotswap

1 ssd ocz onyx 30 gb - in 4 ssd hot swap as well

1 lg blu-ray rewriteable drive

one silverstone multi-card reader

one SIIG 4 usb port

5 led fans throughout desk

water cooling purchased from danger den:

dd-rad reservoir

radiotor (not sure of size, holds 3 large fans)

led flow meter

Pics:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

thanks

More about : desk built

a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2010 7:03:40 AM

Upload them to any site and then just use the Insert Image url tab in the reply section.
I, for one person, would certainly like to see your rig, since I am getting into wireless surveillance and traffic management....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2010 7:55:28 AM

That does sound epic!!! I'd use www.imageshack.us =p it is free, with no Registration....
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2010 11:40:49 AM

Thanks,

The pics are up. Keep in mind this is my fist time building anything, much less a desk with a built in pc. I also forgot to mention that i modded the ikea drawers with a couple of speakers i had, i havent hooked these up yet though.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2010 9:42:04 PM

Looks SWEET! try adding some Cathode lights to it... maybe line the desk with them.... lol.....
Maybe a few zip ties to clear up some of those cords?
Also, see if you can fit a monitor in the desk.... maybe cut an area open and put a touch screen in there...
What are your temps?

P.S. How much did this all cost? I want one... =p
m
l
November 30, 2010 9:48:22 PM

man, that is one amazing set-up. sounds like a monster PC, as well. :-)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2010 2:19:03 AM

That's cool, the pics are really great. And the setup really blows ones mind. Although the speakers made the whole thing look more like a DJ setup :)  or then the traffic alarms are really going to throw me off my chair.... :) 
I hope the Blue LED fan in the center is for blowing out air and not sucking it in...... :)  or you know what might just go wrong.....
Yeah, a big monitor in front and a small monitor on the side would be nice.
Although I still can't get a view of the QSee Dvr... :( 
But the sets really amazing.
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:50:49 PM

Atotalnoob said:
Looks SWEET! try adding some Cathode lights to it... maybe line the desk with them.... lol.....
Maybe a few zip ties to clear up some of those cords?
Also, see if you can fit a monitor in the desk.... maybe cut an area open and put a touch screen in there...
What are your temps?

P.S. How much did this all cost? I want one... =p

yea im in the process of clearing up the cables a bit. i have thouht about the idea of having another monitor in the desk but this would require a third gtx460 since i already have 4 monitors hooked up and i dont know if i would really use it too often.

The actual desk didint cos much, the plexi glass ran me about 80 bucks and the window tint was about 30 on ebay. The ikea drawers were proably the most expensive part, I think they were like 150 each ( but then again those could be replaced with anything).
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:56:36 PM

alyoshka said:
That's cool, the pics are really great. And the setup really blows ones mind. Although the speakers made the whole thing look more like a DJ setup :)  or then the traffic alarms are really going to throw me off my chair.... :) 
I hope the Blue LED fan in the center is for blowing out air and not sucking it in...... :)  or you know what might just go wrong.....
Yeah, a big monitor in front and a small monitor on the side would be nice.
Although I still can't get a view of the QSee Dvr... :( 
But the sets really amazing.

actually the fan in the front is sucking in and so are the two fans on the sides. The two fans on the back are blowing out. I had it the other way around but the fan blowing in my fan was getyting anoyying, but mjy temps are good right now. I got my cpu in the 30s C and my gpu's in the 40"s C. My system temps are around 50 c which isnt great but i guess it'll work. I want to add some gpu waterblocks to my loop but i cant find a waterblock thats compatible with my graphics cards. I guess I have the aftermarket gpu's that have capacitors and such on different parts of the card.

The q-see dvr card is in the far left pci-e slot you can barely see it in the pictures. But the wires running from the ceiling are for the 7 cameras we have set up.
m
l
!