Sign in with
Your question

Intel i3 i5 and AMD athalon questions

Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2011 12:53:15 PM

Hey guys ill say now im not the biggest expert when it comes to PC's so its probably better to ask people who have an idea!

Firstly i was thinking about getting a New PC because my old pc is about 7 years old and im trying to play new and more demanding games on a pentium(R) 4 CPU

I have upgraded my graphics card on my old PC so would probably transfer it across to my new one (its a Radeon Hd 4550) but my main issue is getting a good enough CPU to give good fps on average graphics settings.

So my questions are: Firstly which out of the i3 the i5 and the AMD athalon would be the best cpu to go for (my budget isnt in the range of affording the i7).
Also ive seen the i5 at under 3.00 GHz whereas my cpu at the moment is at 3.00GHz. Ive seen alot of games ask for atleast 3.00Ghz from the cpu on the system requirements so would there be any point in getting a slower cpu like that?
Finally would my graphics card bottleneck the cpu's seeing as its not amazingly powerfull

any help would be greatly appreciated!
a c 103 à CPUs
February 25, 2011 1:14:40 PM

The 4550 is a poor card so I recommend an Athlon x3 with a cheap board and the best graphics card you can afford try to get at least a 5670.
a c 190 à CPUs
February 25, 2011 2:05:52 PM

Right now you can get a nice gaming system based off the Intel® Core I5 760 processor and Intel Desktop Board DP55WB or DP55WG. The Core I5 760 give you full quad core performance and will work well with boards listed or even another manufacturers P55 based board. As long as the video card that you have is PCI-e x16 it plug into that board without any issues.

Also understand that the clock speed that was listed on your Intel Pentium® 4 processor doesn’t translate to the same performance you would get from a new Core I5 processor. I upgraded from an Intel Pentium 4 3.4ghz to a Intel Core™ 2 Duo E6400 at 2.13ghz and it wasn’t close in how big of a performance upgrade and the Intel Core I5’s are major step over that.

When you are building a new system based on a small budget start building the foundation first (e.g. the motherboard and CPU) then you expand off from that.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
February 25, 2011 8:22:49 PM

Yeah i was looking at buying a preset build (i choose what goes in it and they install it and send it) so really the motherboard would have been chosen by the company installing it. Really all i was looking at was the cpu but if i were going to get a new card then i would have to save. Thanks for the input anyways
!