Sign in with
Your question

Maybe overheating: colored dots and freeze.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2010 6:23:49 AM

Hey, this hasn't happened at all in the years i've owned my PC, but now for some reason when I try to play a game, after having it running for a few minutes my computer freezes and both of my monitors get covered with pixelated streaks and dots. It completely freezes everything so i have to power down and restart to fix it. Any idea what to do? I was running at 75C GPU temp when it happened.

By the way, I'm running W7 64bit and my card is a 9800 GTX
October 6, 2010 6:37:04 AM

please give more info.
Have you OCed it?
what is the ambient temperature?
how old is the card?
Is the driver up to date?
m
l
October 6, 2010 6:43:31 AM

KaKkaR0T said:
please give more info.
Have you OCed it?
what is the ambient temperature?
how old is the card?
Is the driver up to date?

It isn't overclocked.

It idles at about 60C - 62C.

The card is a few years old now, I believe.

I just updated the drivers and tried playing some games again, it froze.. did the pixel screen stuff, then both monitors went black and went to standby.

EDIT:

I just played Fallout 3 for about eight minutes and it did it again, my GPU temp was about 68C and GPU usage was at 96%. I've done driver updates and a system restore and I still can't fix it..
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 6:25:58 PM

That GPU is unfortunately on its way out. You will have to invest in a new one. You could try underclocking the card and see if that helps at all.
m
l
October 6, 2010 11:20:44 PM

Damn, that sucks... This PC is like six years old, though. I might just opt out to buy a new computer completely rather than continue upgrading this old fart.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 12:09:35 AM

depending on your hardware you may be able to keep your old system (if its AMD).
m
l
October 7, 2010 12:11:35 AM

yeah it is amd, athlon X2 5200+ processor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 12:42:21 AM

If you have an AM2 motherboard than you can do some upgrading without having to purchase a new motherboard yet. It would be best to start a new thread for that if you need some advice on upgrading.
m
l
October 7, 2010 5:48:18 AM

Snipergod87 said:
If you have an AM2 motherboard than you can do some upgrading without having to purchase a new motherboard yet. It would be best to start a new thread for that if you need some advice on upgrading.

Yeah, I'm not really hardware savvy but I have a nForce 590 SLI Motherboard, which I think is AM2.. I'm not exactly sure. I might wanna switch to intel though and get an i7-950 quad core.
m
l
October 7, 2010 12:11:24 PM

It's totally strange... All the problems I've been having just randomly decided to stop. I can play games fine now.. what the hell? Is my graphics card en route to crapping out or was it just a spout of overheating?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 3:49:52 PM

could have been overheating, different games will tax the GPU differently. It could start as ain intermittent problem and get worse over time. Only time will tell.
m
l
!