Sign in with
Your question

GTX 480 Polygon Tearing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2010 6:24:03 AM

I just bought a zotac GTX 480 graphics card about a month ago. It was working fine until yesterday when i noticed when playing condemned criminal origins some polygon tearing. I didnt think much of it until today when i tried to play nba 2k11 and it was even worse. I havent overclocked it and it has never gone over 90c. Should i just RMA it or can there be another cause.

My system specs are
AMD 955 quad core
6gb ram
650 PSU
windows 7 64bit
M4A78-plus motherboard

here is a pic of the polygon teaing

a b Î Nvidia
a c 218 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 3:03:48 PM

I suggest you pull your case side cover off and run your system to see if that makes a difference. If it does, you have a heat issue. This could affect both your GPU's and your PSU's performance. Hitting 90 is getting pretty warm and you may need to make some adjustments with your system's overall airflow.
m
l
October 6, 2010 4:09:46 PM

COLGeek said:
I suggest you pull your case side cover off and run your system to see if that makes a difference. If it does, you have a heat issue. This could affect both your GPU's and your PSU's performance. Hitting 90 is getting pretty warm and you may need to make some adjustments with your system's overall airflow.

I did what you said and it still doing the same thing.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 218 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 4:11:54 PM

Got it. Could be your PSU isn't quite up the task or a defective GPU. What make/model of PSU are you using? Also, are you using the latest drivers from Nvidia?
m
l
October 6, 2010 4:29:42 PM

I Got a corsair 650 TX PSU and i got the latest drivers i even tried the beta and still had the same results
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 4:34:31 PM

Turn the fan speed up, I think that your vram isn't holding up very well at those temps and is a Very common oversight with both Nvidia and ATI that can be costly to both consumer and the manufacturer.
m
l
October 6, 2010 4:37:16 PM

Wait i turned it off and then i saw that the cpu fan was kinda dusty and just right now i just blew compressed air around the cpu fan and heat sink and now its NOT happening. i know its not a heat problem im just confused now.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 4:41:10 PM

Are you plugged in to a power strip or a outlet that is also used by many devices ?
If you are eliminate that.
Someone had strange artifacts that looked like that, because of poor power via a old powerstrip.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 4:41:26 PM

Sounds like your CPU was overheating then.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 218 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 4:44:13 PM

cooljay1622 said:
Wait i turned it off and then i saw that the cpu fan was kinda dusty and just right now i just blew compressed air around the cpu fan and heat sink and now its NOT happening. i know its not a heat problem im just confused now.

Your PSU should be fine. Cleaning of the GPU/CPU/HSF does indicate you have a heat/airflow problem. Just because you aren't exceeding the temp range for the GPU, you are adding considerable stress to your overall system if you don't efficiently and effectively get that hot air out of your case. Make sure than you input and output fans are clean, actually sucking in clean air (front) and exhausting hot air (rear). Also look to provide an unobstructed airflow (within reason) by rerouting cables, etc.
m
l
October 6, 2010 4:46:00 PM

notty22 said:
Are you plugged in to a power strip or a outlet that is also used by many devices ?
If you are eliminate that.
Someone had strange artifacts that looked like that, because of poor power via a old powerstrip.

actually i am plugged into a power strip but that has never happened and now its working fine.

So it was the CPU overheating causing the issue? that cause now that i think about it i did notice a weird noise coming from the cpu. i didnt check the temp when the problem starting happening right now its at 51c, is that high or where should it be around?
m
l
October 6, 2010 5:06:34 PM

Ok it went away now its back not as bad as before but its there i still have the case open and laying on its side can it be the cpu or gpu thats overheating?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 218 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 7:50:08 PM

Run hwmonitor (Google it) free edition to see how your system is doing.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 7:56:25 PM

Once again turn the fan speed up and monitor your temps while gaming. If you got a infra red thernomiter than use it as it is needed to check vram temps as well temps through out the machine. If not then use the back of your hand and gently feel for hot spots. The power VRM is going to be fairly hot so that will be no surprise. The core will also stand out but if the vram is hot like the rest of the card to ware it is scorching hot then you just found the source of your problem. Place a small fan like a 80mm fan near the back side of your card to improve cooling and to push away the heat coming from the cpu. vram can degrade after long exposures to extreme heat and each module behaves differently in response.
m
l
!