Possible shortage

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Please help, My power went out, when it came back on and tried to turn my pc on the lights inside turn on for a sec then a weird like"ERHHH" noise happens and it shut downs. Please tell me something didn't fry... I don't know if I am paranoid but I think i smell a little burning plastic.

Solution
What are your full system specs?

I would open it up and smell around, check the motherboard and the power supply, if the PSU smells like something may have burnt do NOT try to start up your system any more as it should be replaced. Look at the motherboard for bulging or blow capacitors, if any are present the board will need to be replaced. The other components are difficult to check visually and need to be tested with a working system but the PSU and motherboard are the two most likely to have had an issue.
What are your full system specs?

I would open it up and smell around, check the motherboard and the power supply, if the PSU smells like something may have burnt do NOT try to start up your system any more as it should be replaced. Look at the motherboard for bulging or blow capacitors, if any are present the board will need to be replaced. The other components are difficult to check visually and need to be tested with a working system but the PSU and motherboard are the two most likely to have had an issue.

Solution

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10000 RPM

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Pioneer Black Blu-Ray Reader and 12X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Haven't open it yet, but i feel if it was the PSU it wouldn't light up and make a weird noise and shutdown. So annoying, I have no other comps in my house that can use my stuff since my family likes low budget POS.

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I removed everything and have it laying on a my floor, the MOBO doesn't seem to have any blown caps, don' really smell anything from any of the components. Do you think it could of been just a little glitch? And since I haven't touched it for a few days it might work after I put it back together? Cause I really want to fix this but don't know how to troubleshoot it.

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I fixed it. There was a lot of dust so I cleaned everything and it worked. The PSU didn't like spark on the first boot up since cleaning it but ever since nothing. Just starts up normal.