Strange Server Request

Last response: in Video Games
August 22, 2005 8:00:26 PM

I tried to join a game and got this strange server request to allow it
to look at files outside of my UT2004 directory - while I was still
reading and trying to decide what to do, it disconnected.

I realize there is rampant cheating going on but I don't think that
this cure, giving a strange server permission to search your entire
system, is the solution.

Ak

More about : strange server request

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:11:02 AM

Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in

> I tried to join a game and got this strange server request to allow it
> to look at files outside of my UT2004 directory - while I was still
> reading and trying to decide what to do, it disconnected.
>
> I realize there is rampant cheating going on but I don't think that
> this cure, giving a strange server permission to search your entire
> system, is the solution.
>
> Ak

Then what do you do ? If people are cheating you have to deal with it
somehow & having an admin present all the time to manually check for
cheaters isn't an ideal solution either. There's plenty of servers out
there though so you can find one that doesn't check for illegal files if it
bothers you. Blame the cheaters, they are the ones that make checks like
this necessary in order to keep the game based on a persons own skill
rather that using an aimbot to pretend you can play well.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:29:16 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:11:02 GMT, "Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.canospam>
wrote:

>Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in
>
>> I tried to join a game and got this strange server request to allow it
>> to look at files outside of my UT2004 directory - while I was still
>> reading and trying to decide what to do, it disconnected.
>>
>> I realize there is rampant cheating going on but I don't think that
>> this cure, giving a strange server permission to search your entire
>> system, is the solution.
>>
>> Ak
>
>Then what do you do ? If people are cheating you have to deal with it
>somehow & having an admin present all the time to manually check for
>cheaters isn't an ideal solution either. There's plenty of servers out
>there though so you can find one that doesn't check for illegal files if it
>bothers you. Blame the cheaters, they are the ones that make checks like
>this necessary in order to keep the game based on a persons own skill
>rather that using an aimbot to pretend you can play well.

I guess if I were desperate to play at such a server I would just have
a separate computer just for gaming and I would not have a problem
with a strange server searching through it.

Ak
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:45:37 PM

wrote:

>Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in
>
>> I tried to join a game and got this strange server request to allow it
>> to look at files outside of my UT2004 directory - while I was still
>> reading and trying to decide what to do, it disconnected.
>>
>> I realize there is rampant cheating going on but I don't think that
>> this cure, giving a strange server permission to search your entire
>> system, is the solution.
>>
>> Ak
>
>Then what do you do ? If people are cheating you have to deal with it
>somehow & having an admin present all the time to manually check for
>cheaters isn't an ideal solution either. There's plenty of servers out
>there though so you can find one that doesn't check for illegal files if it
>bothers you. Blame the cheaters, they are the ones that make checks like
>this necessary in order to keep the game based on a persons own skill
>rather that using an aimbot to pretend you can play well.

If you play Counter Strike: Source, you have a VAC secured server so
Steam searches for cheaters. We may not like it but it is the way to
go. Better that than have the game spoilt by stupid people so that the
game is no longer worth playing. You can expect the next UT to have
such stuff as standard.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"
!