Strange Server Request

I tried to join a game and got this strange server request to allow it
to look at files outside of my UT2004 directory - while I was still
reading and trying to decide what to do, it disconnected.

I realize there is rampant cheating going on but I don't think that
this cure, giving a strange server permission to search your entire
system, is the solution.

Ak
3 answers Last reply
More about strange server request
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in

    > I tried to join a game and got this strange server request to allow it
    > to look at files outside of my UT2004 directory - while I was still
    > reading and trying to decide what to do, it disconnected.
    >
    > I realize there is rampant cheating going on but I don't think that
    > this cure, giving a strange server permission to search your entire
    > system, is the solution.
    >
    > Ak

    Then what do you do ? If people are cheating you have to deal with it
    somehow & having an admin present all the time to manually check for
    cheaters isn't an ideal solution either. There's plenty of servers out
    there though so you can find one that doesn't check for illegal files if it
    bothers you. Blame the cheaters, they are the ones that make checks like
    this necessary in order to keep the game based on a persons own skill
    rather that using an aimbot to pretend you can play well.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:11:02 GMT, "Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.canospam>
    wrote:

    >Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in
    >
    >> I tried to join a game and got this strange server request to allow it
    >> to look at files outside of my UT2004 directory - while I was still
    >> reading and trying to decide what to do, it disconnected.
    >>
    >> I realize there is rampant cheating going on but I don't think that
    >> this cure, giving a strange server permission to search your entire
    >> system, is the solution.
    >>
    >> Ak
    >
    >Then what do you do ? If people are cheating you have to deal with it
    >somehow & having an admin present all the time to manually check for
    >cheaters isn't an ideal solution either. There's plenty of servers out
    >there though so you can find one that doesn't check for illegal files if it
    >bothers you. Blame the cheaters, they are the ones that make checks like
    >this necessary in order to keep the game based on a persons own skill
    >rather that using an aimbot to pretend you can play well.

    I guess if I were desperate to play at such a server I would just have
    a separate computer just for gaming and I would not have a problem
    with a strange server searching through it.

    Ak
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in
    >
    >> I tried to join a game and got this strange server request to allow it
    >> to look at files outside of my UT2004 directory - while I was still
    >> reading and trying to decide what to do, it disconnected.
    >>
    >> I realize there is rampant cheating going on but I don't think that
    >> this cure, giving a strange server permission to search your entire
    >> system, is the solution.
    >>
    >> Ak
    >
    >Then what do you do ? If people are cheating you have to deal with it
    >somehow & having an admin present all the time to manually check for
    >cheaters isn't an ideal solution either. There's plenty of servers out
    >there though so you can find one that doesn't check for illegal files if it
    >bothers you. Blame the cheaters, they are the ones that make checks like
    >this necessary in order to keep the game based on a persons own skill
    >rather that using an aimbot to pretend you can play well.

    If you play Counter Strike: Source, you have a VAC secured server so
    Steam searches for cheaters. We may not like it but it is the way to
    go. Better that than have the game spoilt by stupid people so that the
    game is no longer worth playing. You can expect the next UT to have
    such stuff as standard.

    --

    Julian Richards
    usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
    Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

Games Servers Video Games