Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Please Help with Connection Problem

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
May 31, 2010 3:03:39 PM

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have a three computer home network connected to the internet with a DSL modem from SBC.

Two of the computers are desktops connected to a switch that then connects to te DSL modem. The third computer is a laptop that connects directly to the DSL modem by wireless. All three computers are running XP Home.

One of the desktops has suffered a situation where a file or shortcut has become corrupted, preventing a connection to the network.

I scanned for viruses and malware and found nothing. I also updated the ethernet card driver. No sucess.
After a couple of hours of frustration, I installed windows on a secondary drive in the desktop (it has three hard drives).

I then booted from that drive and everything worked OK. Therefore, I concluded that I have a software problem (Hardware appears OK)

Not wanting to do a full reinstall of windows, I used system restore and went back one week. Everything seemed OK.

However, after shutting the computer off and rebooting, the problem reappears. I can solve it using system resore, but something appears corrupted.

Questions:

Does anybody know what routine or service initiates connections to the network ?

Is there someway to verify the registry to make sure the boot sequence is working properly ?

Again, thanks for any assistance

Neil Kaufman

More about : connection problem

June 1, 2010 6:13:56 AM

Truckeeskibum said:
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have a three computer home network connected to the internet with a DSL modem from SBC.

Two of the computers are desktops connected to a switch that then connects to te DSL modem. The third computer is a laptop that connects directly to the DSL modem by wireless. All three computers are running XP Home.

One of the desktops has suffered a situation where a file or shortcut has become corrupted, preventing a connection to the network.

[#0005ff]Can you please go into Control Panel>User Accounts and set up a new Administrative account and see if that works well and conencts properly? If that's the case, the problem lies in the HKCU area of the Registry and is more easily traced.[/#000ff]
m
l
June 2, 2010 5:32:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I created the new accountwith administrator rights and then rebooted the machine. When I logged in with the new account, network access was not possible.

I also tried rebooting and logging in using other users that had been previously created with no success.

As before, I was able to gain network access using a system restore on the main account.

However, if I reboot the machine the access will be lost.

Any other ideas ?
m
l
June 2, 2010 5:48:30 AM

Truckeeskibum said:
Thanks for the suggestion.

I created the new accountwith administrator rights and then rebooted the machine. When I logged in with the new account, network access was not possible.

I also tried rebooting and logging in using other users that had been previously created with no success.

As before, I was able to gain network access using a system restore on the main account.

However, if I reboot the machine the access will be lost.

Any other ideas ?

[#0005ff]Something is reverting settings on start up. Go Statr>Run type msconfig into the open box and hit Enter. Look in the StartUp list and untick anything you don't recognise or really need to slow the system down at boottime. Click Apply and OK your way out and after the restrt, tick "Don't show this message again" and hit Enter.[/#000ff]
m
l