Does it matter if you swap your SATA cables around?

omoplata

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hey guys

A while back i built my PC and didn't care if i put my hard disk and dvd drive in my SATA 3 motherboard spots. Im getting an SSD now though and i need those SATA III motherboard spots open (just using the SSD as an extra drive, not as boot drive). Will i be okay if i just move the sata cables for my hard disk and dvd drive to another sata II port?

Thanks guys

Solution
I've had PCs not boot after doing that when multiple drives are present, and had drive letters change in a way I didn't want.

If that should happen to you, simply disconnect the SATA cables from your non-boot HD, and boot. Power down, reconnect your other drives, reboot, and adjust drive letters if/as necessary.

Or tell the BIOS which specific HD you now want to boot from if the BIOS supports that approach.
I've had PCs not boot after doing that when multiple drives are present, and had drive letters change in a way I didn't want.

If that should happen to you, simply disconnect the SATA cables from your non-boot HD, and boot. Power down, reconnect your other drives, reboot, and adjust drive letters if/as necessary.

Or tell the BIOS which specific HD you now want to boot from if the BIOS supports that approach.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS