Graphic card failure?

Current system: MB-MSI P6N SLI platinum. Graphic card- EVGA 8800 GTS 320. P/S- Corsair 620W SLI certified. Memory- Crucial Ballistix 4X 1GB DDR2 800. Processor- Core 2 DUO E6750. Case- Lian Li Tower W/front rear and side fans.
Hard Drives-2 320 gig in RAID 0. OS- Windows Vista 64.
Problem: While playing CC3 Kanes...Computer locked-up with blue diagonal lines running through display. Restarted computer- vertical lines on display and letters and or symbols during system boot-up. Computer "tries" to boot Windows, but display just goes blank. I can boot to Safe mode with vertical lines in display. I re-seated graphics card and visually inspected without removing cover or fan. I checked BIOS Temp and voltage readings. CPU temps and system temp were at 35/40 respectively. Voltages were correct and rock steady- 12V = 12.144. Performed system memory test with no failure.
I do not have another graphic card to try swap-tronics. If I buy another card what would you suggest? I play WOW and would probably play Diablo 3, Starcraft 2. I would like to stick with Nvidia. Thanks in advance for any help.
7 answers Last reply
More about graphic card failure
  1. If you can afford it then the GTX460 1GB version is the current sweet spot.
  2. Mousemonkey said:
    If you can afford it then the GTX460 1GB version is the current sweet spot.

That won't be "too much card" for my current system?
  3. No, you'll be fine.
  4. Mousemonkey said:
    No, you'll be fine.

Will I have to upgrade to Windows 7?
  5. No, Vista 64 has DX9, 10 and 11.
  6. Thanks. So, does it sound like my graphic card failed?
  7. It does indeed but without testing in another rig you can't say for certain but being an old card it's highly likely.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Displays